Freelance Sports Writer
Editorial | No Location | Part Time
Do you have strong opinions on the NFL Draft? Do you spend your evenings engaging with Basketball Twitter? Do you have an encyclopedic knowledge of every MLB team’s bullpen situation? If so, we want you!
Yardbarker is seeking talented Freelance Sports Writers to join our growing team. This is a great opportunity to write for a leading sports site with significant distribution on third party platforms. You will be expected to take assignments from our editors and complete them on deadline. You will also have the ability to pitch your own ideas for articles that you think will do well on Yardbarker.com and across third party platforms. We work at a rapid pace and need someone who can write smartly and clearly about the assigned subject matters.
This is a paid, remote opportunity. Candidates will be compensated for their work on a per-article basis, based on the length of assignment and level of research required.
Here are the qualifications we’re looking for:
- You have written for a mainstream publication or website
- Deep interest and knowledge in specific sports
- Writing skills that enable you to write an article on a given topic in a clear, informative, and fun style
- Strong news judgment about what is interesting and significant and an innate ability to cover ongoing storylines and trends in a digestible way for a broad audience
- Ability to hit deadlines and communicate with our editorial team in a timely manner
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
What we need from you:
- Writing Samples relevant to the job description
- List of sports/topics you are interested in writing about
- 3 pitch ideas tied to the sports/topics you are interested in writing about
- How many assignments you’d expect to be able to write for us per week