Winemaker - Central Coast & Chronic Cellars
Winemaking | Paso Robles, CA | Full Time
Winemaker – Central Coast & Chronic Cellars
Founded in 1999, WX is a privately-owned innovative beverage alcohol company that produces products in 17 countries, on 5 different continents, and ships to 12 countries in Asia, Europe, Australasia, and North America. With offices located in Novato, CA and London, WX offers a unique working environment, with the fast pace of an entrepreneurial start-up and the down-to-earth atmosphere found in the Northern California wine industry. We seek people who are passionate about making a difference in the industry and their careers. You can find out more by visiting our website: www.wxbrands.com
From our main office in Novato, CA we support wine production at six California wineries for our portfolio of US based wines. We are looking for a Winemaker based in the Central Coast to join our team! This position reports to VP Global Sourcing and Winemaking.
The winemaker in this position will work with our Central Coast wineries and manage their production and bulk wine inventory. A primary role within this position is the management of all winemaking and production of the Chronic Cellars wine program.
- Manage winemaking for Chronic Cellars wines including grape procurement, winemaking at a custom crush facility and preparation of wines for bottling.
- Develop production plan and communicate with custom crush facility
- Identify Vineyards and varieties that meet the quality requirements for the brand.
- Develop annual winemaking plan with Budget for all wine inputs and treatments.
- Manage wine quality and tracking at third party facilities in the California Central Coast
- Prepare wines for bottling and ensure they meet quality, budget and timing requirements
- Maintain background information in winemaking database so that the winemaking department has current, accurate information for planning the disposition of the bulk wine inventory
- Develops wine blends and new wines in order to support short and long-term winemaking goals and objectives
- Participate with Operations and Winemaking team in weekly meetings.
- Provide updates on inventory available to meet the bottling schedule
- Provide compliance information on wines
- Manage and oversee in all aspects of barrel aging of wine and maintenance of barrels.
- Customer and Sales Support responsibilities include:
- Meet with customers and Sales personnel to educate and promote Chronic Cellars wines
- Brand ambassador / spokesperson for the Winery.
The successful candidate will be part of a team of WX winemakers around the globe, passionate about quality, inspired by tradition and led by innovation. You will participate in the sharing of insights and experience with fellow WX winemakers from around the world with a goal of continuous improvement in quality for our wines.
You are Passionate, Enthusiastic, Innovative and Team Oriented.
You possess BA, BS or higher in Enology or related field, with complete technical knowledge of all winemaking practices and have a minimum of 7-10 years' experience in managing and representing premium/super premium brands. You have demonstrated experience in developing high quality wine brands and bring proven sensory, analytical and problem solving skills. You embrace technology as a tool for improving quality and productivity. You are located on the California Central Coast, preferably Paso Robles, and are familiar with the winemaking trends and history in this diverse appellation.
- Bachelor's degree in Fermentation Science, Enology, Viticulture, Food Science Biological Engineering, Biology, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or Microbiology plus 7 years of winemaking experience reflecting increasing levels of responsibility.
- Knowledge of technical procedures and ability to understand and use technical documents.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. Comfortable and competent presentation and public speaking skills are essential and required.
- Competent computer skills which include Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Valid California Driver’s license with clean DMV record. This role requires use of a personal vehicle with mileage reimbursement.
- Able to work independently and with a team.
- Self-starter with strong work ethic.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Sit for prolonged periods of time
- Working conditions in certain areas of the winery are cold, wet, slippery and noisy. Involves exposure to hazardous conditions.
- Irregular shifts, including graveyard, and long hours may be required on occasion.
- Frequent walking, including going up and down stairs, bending and stooping are required.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds on an occasional basis.
- Ability to perform wine tasting for quality control
- Able to drive 30 minutes to 2 hours, or more, per day
WX offers a competitive benefits package including PTO starting at 19 days per year. We offer an entrepreneurial environment that promotes career growth by leaps and bounds while being part of a team-oriented environment that knows how to have fun!