Bottling Line | Sonoma, CA | Full Time
Founded in 1999, WX is a privately-owned innovative beverage alcohol company that produces wine in 17 countries, on 5 different continents, and ships to 12 countries in Asia, Europe, Australasia, and North America. With offices located in Novato, CA and London, WX offers a unique working environment, with the fast pace of an entrepreneurial start-up and the down-to-earth atmosphere found in the Northern California wine industry. We seek people who are passionate about making a difference in the industry and their careers.
You can find out more by visiting our website: www.wxbrands.com
The Production Winemaker is responsible for the day-to-day winemaking operations at WX Bottling in Carneros and the adjacent winery. Proactively, works with wine production to ensure that the highest quality wines are being made for all brands blended, crushed, fermented and aged at the Carneros Bottling facility and contracted winery facilities.
Works as part of the winemaking team to create wines that reflect the established taste and style of our commercial brands. Responsible to maintain and implement winemaking protocols as set by the winemaking team from grape to bottle. The Winemaker role provides important leadership and direction to the contract facilities to ensure all winemaking goals and procedures are met within the time allotted while being ever vigilant with our quality standards Specific brand winemaking responsibilities as directed.
- Work in a collaborative environment with Winemaking team and Bottling Line Manager to coordinate all production winemaking activities
- Responsible for creating and implementing short term production calendar
- Schedule Cellar operations for blending, finishing and storage at our contracted Custom Crush facilities
- Coordinate bulk wine shipping with Logistics manager
- Track and maintain wine quality through finishing and bottling
- Coordinate with lab to maintain wine quality and stability
- Coordinate with key departments (Lab, Cellar, Bottling, Vineyards etc) to establish and meet planning requirements
- Direct blending, finishing and stabilization to prepare wines for bottling at WX Bottling facility.
- Manage tank and barrel inventory and utilization at WX Bottling and contracted winery facilities.
- Manage wine additives inventory at Sonoma facility
- Maintain production records in Vinetgrate (winemaker database)
- Participate in Trade & consumer events as needed.
- Coordinate incoming and outgoing bulk wine shipments.
- Taste, check analysis & sign-off all wine prior to bottling
- Adhere to wine quality guidelines
- Primary winemaker contact for all QC issues & variances
- Check all blends prior to entry into Vintegrate to confirm they meet legal requirements: appellation, alcohol, estate status, etc.
- Primary liaison between WX winemaking with packaging personnel at WX Bottling and Co-packers to ensure wine is ready on time, ensure correctness of mandatory label information.
- Participate in weekly pre and post bottling tastings
- Bachelor of Science in Enology/Fermentation science or related technical field required
- Minimum 3-5 years of winemaking production experience in similar role.
- Thorough knowledge of winemaking and cellar operation practices required
- Thorough understanding of winemaking processes and theory. Knowledgeable in all phases of winemaking, from the vine to the bottle, including bulk wine sourcing
- Experience and competence in running basic wine analysis (alcohol, CO2, O2, SO2 etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent Organizational Skills and ability to work independently.
- Competency in working with Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Experience with Vintegrate and Navision is beneficial.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with all levels of internal and external contacts.
- Winery Exchange is an entrepreneurial organization that offers a competitive benefits and an excellent paid time off program.