Sr. Software Engineer, Advanced Technology
Broadcast Engineering | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
Senior Software Engineer, Advanced Technology (Palo Alto or Santa Monica)
The world’s video viewing is migrating to the Internet … all of it. Wurl is making it happen. Our customers are the biggest media brands on the planet – including Legendary, Lionsgate, Jukin Media, BBC, NBC, Eleven Sports, Sony Animation. Every day, 24/7 our network delivers their live, linear and VOD programming to the world’s largest Internet-based video services - including Twitch, Roku, Sling, Samsung. Launched in October 2017, our company has quickly become the market leader.
We’re enabling distribution of the world’s best programming to the world’s biggest video services. We need your help.
We’re looking for some great Senior Software Engineers to join our Streaming Engineering team. In this role you would be a key contributor to identifying and solving many of the critical tasks on our roadmap including:
- CREATE new play-out systems to enable video distribution to global video services (OTT, social, live)
- DEVELOP state-of-the-art tech and services to enhance live, linear and VOD video distribution
- EXTEND Wurl’s server-side dynamic ad insertion platform
- BUILD our network to blanket the planet
Senior Software Engineer, Advanced Technology
In this job, you'll be a key member of the Wurl team that's building our global video streaming distribution and advertising network.
- Working with our growing customer base (the world's biggest video brands), you'll develop and enhance Wurl systems for the 24/7 distribution of their programming through scheduled linear channels, live streaming and VOD.
- As more video services connect to the Wurl Network, you'll extend our network platform with new video play-out and advertising technology to serve their viewers.
- Support our junior software engineers with advice, coaching and oversight.
- Develop advanced technology demonstrations for a growing collection of Wurl partners.
7+ years of complete software lifecycle experience.
Proven experience with Ruby, NodeJS or Golang and/or other modern languages.
Understanding and proven experience with HTTP video delivery and Dynamic Ad Insertion (DAI).
Experience with messaging systems across clusters of services.
Familiar with open-source tools including FFMPEG and nginx.
Understanding of video metadata formats and VOD (JSON, XML, MRSS).
Understanding of basic workflow engines and state transitions.
Great team player.
A plus if you have:
An understanding of video delivery standards (HLS, MP4, RTMP, DASH, MRSS, MP-TS, RTMP), advertising tech (SCTE markers, HLS manifests, Adobe Primetime, Imagine xG AIM, ad decisioning servers) and video encoding tools & services.
- Offices in Palo Alto (HQ), Santa Monica and London.
- Venture capital backed
- World-class team with great company culture
This is a rare opportunity to join a team that includes many of the world's top engineers working at the intersection of TV and the Internet.