IST | Getzville, NY | Full Time
About the Company
William S. Hein & Co., Inc. is a leading, family-run publishing company that has been serving the worldwide library community for 100 years. At its core function, the company distributes information to libraries via HeinOnline, a premier online research platform, while also publishing, reprinting, and providing micrographic materials.
Company Amenities and Benefits
Our recently remodeled, modern office is conveniently located creek-side in suburban Buffalo, minutes from the University at Buffalo Amherst Campus. Inside the Hein suite, enjoy a comfortable and relaxing workspace equipped with massage chairs, games and televisions, an onsite gym, and an in-house café. Outside, enjoy scenic views, go for a run after work, or take a leisurely walk on your lunch.
Your comprehensive benefits package would also include:
- Competitive Salary and Performance Bonuses
- 401K/Profit Sharing Plan
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Company-Paid Life & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off and Parental Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- Flexible Schedules
- Continued Professional Development
About the Position
The Hein Company seeks an innovative and inquiring mind to join our six-person IST Department as a Network/Systems Administrator. On any given day in this position, you might be asked to:
- Balance network and system-related projects
- Assess the company’s technical needs and brainstorm cost-effective and time-efficient solutions
- Research product feasibility and new technologies
- Maintain the company’s computer network infrastructure, systems administration, computer security, hardware and software installation, and email administration
- Provide technical support and training to internal end users
- Manage, administer, and maintain servers and services
- Monitor our server room and colocation facility
- Collaborate with the company’s Development team
- Mentor/provide support to colleagues
An integral member of the team, this candidate would thus be essential to the performance of day-to-day company tasks and crucial to the initiation of exciting new company projects, making this position vital to the Hein Company’s continued growth.
Desired Skills and Experience
Required Soft Skills:
The ideal candidate will have a solid technical background, but equally important (if not moreso) are a particular set of soft skills that will allow them to excel when navigating the wide-ranging list of duties that fall under this position. The candidate should be:
- Eager to expand and refine technical skills
- Experienced and effective in managing the full scope of a project from start to finish
- Excited by problem solving and able to provide innovative solutions
- Self-directed, with excellent time management skills
- Driven to learn about the company and its needs
- Adaptable/flexible in terms of new technologies
- A strong communicator and collaborator
- Reliable, especially in terms of maintenance duties and deadlines
Required Technical Skills:
In addition to this thoughtful and driven work mindset, a foundation in at least some of the following skills is a must. Extended familiarity or education in these technical areas is considered a plus.
Linux Servers and Services:
- Enterprise Linux infrastructure (RedHat/CentOS 6/7/8)
- Server monitoring and optimization, performance tuning and benchmarking, client/server-side troubleshooting, user and group account management, traffic management, load balancing, rate limiting, high-availability database clusters and maintaining the GIT for code distribution control.
Networking: Firewalls (See System Security & Threat Assessment), wireless controllers, link aggregation, layer-2
and layer-3 switching, routing, VLANs / trunking, traffic management, and load balancing. Network services such as:
- Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
- Domain Name System (DNS)
- Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
- Network Time Protocol (NTO)
- SSH/FTP, (S)FTP/TFTP
Database, File, and Application Management:
- Database Management: MySQL and Galera High-Availability Cluster
- File System Management: iSCSI, NFS, NVMe/SMB(CIFS)
Application Management: Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP
Microsoft Exchange Mail Server: Exchange environment and infrastructure, archival (Datacove), Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP), and filtering via gateway security (Barracuda).
Windows Servers and Services:
- Windows server infrastructures (2008-2019)
- File and print services, Active Directory, and user/group account management and policy.
Company Data Management and Preservation: SAN (iSCSI/NFS/NVMe/SMB), Veritas Backup Exec, and Veeam.
System Security & Threat Assessment:
- Firewall: Access rules and objects, content filtering, Network Address Translation (NAT) policies, WAN ISP fail-over, and VPN and mobile client connections.
- Tenable/Nessus, Qualys, and TrendMicro.
Recognizing that no one candidate is likely to have mastered all of these technical areas, we are open to providing continued professional development so that the candidate with the right soft skills (see list above) can develop their technical background as they grow with the company.
This position requires either:
- a minimum of an Associate’s Degree in Information Systems (or equivalent) and at least four years of experience
- a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems (or equivalent) and two years’ experience
Other Position Information
Typically 40 hours, with some nights/weekends required (infrequent, and generally planned for system maintenance).
William S. Hein is an equal opportunity employer.