Accounting | Getzville, NY | Full Time
About the Company
William S. Hein & Co., Inc. is a leading, family-run publishing company that has been serving the worldwide library community for 100 years. At its core function, the company distributes information to libraries via HeinOnline, a premier online research platform, while also publishing, reprinting, and providing micrographic materials.
Company Amenities and Benefits
Our recently remodeled, modern office is conveniently located creek-side in suburban Buffalo, minutes from the University at Buffalo Amherst Campus. Inside the Hein suite, enjoy a comfortable and relaxing workspace equipped with massage chairs, games and televisions, an onsite gym, and an in-house café. Outside, enjoy scenic views, go for a run after work, or take a leisurely walk on your lunch.
Your comprehensive benefits package would also include:
- Competitive Salary and Performance Bonuses
- 401K/Profit Sharing Plan
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Company-Paid Life & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off and Parental Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- Flexible Schedules
- Continued Professional Development
About the Position
The Hein Company seeks an individual that is highly driven and analytical to oversee the financial functions of the organization.
While working as the Controller, you will be involved in every aspect of accounting and be a member of the company’s Management Board. This position is an integral part of our company’s success, always sharing a financial perspective on our strategic plans.
The Controller’s responsibilities include:
Strategic Planning & Financial Analysis
- Provides strategic financial input and leadership on decision-making issues affecting the organization.
- Evaluates and advises on the financial impact of long-range planning, the introduction of new programs/strategies and regulatory actions.
- Researches, recommends, establishes and maintains banking relationships.
- Actively identifies and suggests opportunities to improve our business functions.
- Oversees the accurate application of customer payments. Processes billing adjustments and credit memos.
- Oversees the collection processes of A/R.
- Oversees the preparation of all monthly A/R reports used in the month-end close and reconciliation processes.
- Oversees the accurate entry of invoices into the Heron system and approves the check run.
- Reviews outstanding checks (older than one year) and determines whether to void, reissue immediately, or reissue at a later date.
- Monitors the processing of all payment types for accuracy and timeliness of payment(s).
- Processes wire transfers and ACH payments through the Heron system, once approved submits them through the respective bank’s system.
- Oversees the management of Petty Cash funds and reimbursement requests.
- Prepares and enters monthly manual J/E’s into the Heron system.
- Reconciles outstanding check, online, wire transfers, and credit card amounts necessary for the completion of monthly bank reconciliations.
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliations of all company bank accounts.
- Processes monthly bank reconciliation in the Heron system.
- Completes month-end/year-end closing procedures.
- Establishes and maintains systems and controls which verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data, and enhance the Company’s value.
- Oversees the accurate and timely dissemination of financial reports including, but not limited to, monthly and annual financial statements, weekly cash reports, and annual audits.
- Works with the company auditor on corporate income tax compliance and the completion of all corporate income tax returns, taking full advantage of all favorable tax codes.
- Responds to requests from senior leaders for financial information that will assist them in making major financial decisions.
- Completes a cost analysis on a variety of business activities and presents findings to senior management.
- Responsible for the ongoing application, collection and processing of sales tax for various states.
- Processes Canada GST/HST, New Jersey, Colorado, & New York quarterly sales tax returns.
- Researches, recommends and manages the company insurance programs.
- Works with the Chairman of the Board on the William S. Hein & Co. Foundation accounting activities.
- Calculates commission payments bi-monthly and submits the approved payments to payroll for processing.
- Reviews payroll weekly after it has been submitted to verify accuracy.
- Assists Human Resources with the management of the 401k account including calculating safe harbor contributions, annual profit sharing contributions and preparation of the IRS 5500 form. Attends the quarterly review meetings for our 401k plan.
- Assists Human resources with determining benefit plan offerings for employees.
- Assists in the evaluation of potential alliances, acquisitions and/or mergers.
The Controller is an integral member of our team, providing accounting knowledge and experience to improve the company’s financial standing.
Desired Skills and Experience
Required Soft Skills:
The ideal candidate will have a solid accounting background, but equally important (if not more so) are a particular set of soft skills that will allow them to excel when navigating the wide-ranging list of duties that fall under this position. The candidate should have:
- A desire to continually expand and refine accounting knowledge and skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to continually improve processes and procedures.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent time management with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate when appropriate.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate in a positive and productive manner
- Ability to understand complex information/systems
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite and any accounting software
- An MBA or Master’s degree in accounting preferred
- 7+ years of accounting management experience, preferably at a company that provides products or services
- Process improvement experience that positively improved the function of the accounting department
- Supervisory experience of accounting professionals
- Experience working with international customers is helpful
- Ability to communicate financial information to various stakeholders
Other Position Information
This position has one part-time Accounting Administrator and one full-time Accounting Professional reporting to them.
- Generally Monday – Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm
- Additional hours may be occasionally required, such as at month or year end.
William S. Hein is an equal opportunity employer.