Technical Editor for Cybersecurity
Editorial | Remote Work - No Location | Part Time and Contract
Are you a technical expert with some free time and a passion for cybersecurity?
Null Byte (null-byte.com) is the largest white hat hacker community for beginners. We're searching for a computer-savvy technical editor with basic knowledge of InfoSec. Our technical editor will help edit our tutorials for facts, technical errors, style, and grammar on a contract basis.
WonderHowTo is the web's premier destination for inspiration, guides, and how-tos. We created the Null Byte community for beginners who want to learn about hacking — so they can get answers from experts without being taken advantage of or mocked.
The ideal Null Byte editor will utilize their editing skills and basic technical knowledge to ensure that our security and hacking-related how-to guides are accurate and convey complex information in a concise, effective, consistent, and compelling manner.
The perfect candidate would have a background in technical editing and love to teach beginners. Basic experience with Linux, networking, and/or penetration testing will help this candidate out during the process of fact and error checking. Editing will require candidates to research and determine whether an article works the way it says it works. It some cases, that may require hands-on replication of the written steps. If you aren’t proficient in all of the technical fields that Null Byte covers, that's ok. Experts write our guides, and we write them for beginners. You'll need a set up that lets you download, use, and perform tests to verifying the validity of tutorials.
- Knowledge of or interest in cybersecurity, information security, and information technology security topics
- Technical editing and/or writing experience
- Access to multiple computers / hacking lab / virtual machines to test tutorials
- The ability to explain complex subjects in a way that's easy to understand and fun for the reader
- Superb grammar, fact-checking, and formatting skills
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
Bonuses Points For:
- Expertise or degree in cybersecurity, computer science, IT security, and/or InfoSec
- Experience teaching others how to hack and how to prevent themselves from getting hacked is a big plus
- Experience writing and editing how-to guides for a general audience on the web, specifically, would be a big plus
Email a cover letter that includes details about any technical editing experience you have and shows us your interest in the topic area. If we like what we see, we'll contact you with a screener survey to check your basic editing and fact-checking skills.
Technical editors get paid a set rate per post edited.