Software Engineer, Back End Services
Engineering & Operations | San Francisco, CA
Like our wikis and communities, Wikia is passionate, high-energy and collaborative. Wikia is one of the largest "creative commons" sites in the world. While you may or may not have heard of us, odds are that you've been linked to our Wikis and perused our content numerous times in the past. We maintain over 300,000 wikis across an impressive array of subjects, spanning virtually all aspects of popular culture. Wikia is the top global video game publisher on the Web today, with over 70 million unique visitors a day. Wikia was founded in 2004 by Jimmy Wales and Angela Beesley as a for profit Wiki based platform. We are headquartered in a brightly colored SOMA office in San Francisco, CA. .
You have scaled web services before, preferably multiple times. You have been involved in a site serving millions of pages/day. You consider 10M pages/day a traffic level where things start to get interesting, and view 100M pages/day as an interesting challenge.
Wikia is looking for smart, quick, and highly motivated software engineers to apply your knowledge and technical wizardry to a growing platform at a profitable and still private company. You’ll have the opportunity to shape company, technology and product directions. You will be part of the team scaling Wikia’s industry leading platform, built on the open source MediaWiki stack and customized to scale in ways that other companies have yet to imagine. We need people that know how to rebuild the 747 while it's flying as we aim to continually grow the platform while consistently serving or millions of existing users.
We are globally distributed, fanatical about performance and growing quickly. We have interesting scaling and back-end implementation opportunities to design and solve. We have mid-senior level openings for veterans from roughly 5 years of experience to 20+, with salary conducive to what you bring to the table.
These positions are full-time, based out of our San Francisco office. These positions could involve occassional travel to our engineering office in Poznan, Poland.
Required Skills & Experience
- Excellent software engineering skills and judgment. You live to deliver high-quality excellent software products to end-users.
- You've worked in small, fast-moving high-growth teams
- You understand and know how consistently improve scalability, availability and performance of high traffic web services
- Experienced tuning and scaling databases, preferably MySQL
- Have worked on and understand the nuances of Linux based server technology
- You thrive on building the high performing engines behind the scenes that allow large web systems to live long and prosper
- Have employed and enhanced caching strategies to achieve measurable performance gains
- You're as comfortable coding in Perl as you are working in other parts of the stack
- Excellent communication skills. International collaboration is critical to success.
Great to have additional Skills & Experience
- PHP experience strongly preferred but not strictly required
Experience with queuing and messaging systems
- e.g. Scribe, Rabbit, theSchwartz
- Have worked with multiple data center deployments
- MediaWiki or other CMS development experience
- Experience with Varnish
Experience contributing to or maintaining a wiki
- If you have one, please include a link to your user page on Wikia, Wikipedia or another wiki site)
- Have worked on Agile teams, preferably running a flavor of Scrum or Kanban
- Willing to travel to Europe occasionally
- Degree in CS or related discipline
Benefits & Perks
Wikia offers a competitive salary package including stock options, health benefits (medical, dental and vision), PTO, and a 401K. Our San Francisco office is located within walking distance to South Park, AT&T Stadium, and the CalTrain station, and is only blocks away from Market Street and BART. Our dog-friendly digs also come with a stocked pantry and gaming room, where some employees practice yoga at lunch.
Principals only. Agency and recruiter resumes will be considered unsolicited resumes that are not subject to placement fees.