Software Engineer, Ad Platforms
Engineering & Operations | San Francisco, CA
Like our wikis and communities, Wikia is passionate, high-energy and collaborative. We maintain over 300,000 wikis across an impressive array of subjects, spanning virtually all aspects of popular culture. Wikia is the top global video game publisher on the Web today, with over 70 million unique visitors a day. You’ll have the opportunity to shape the revenue stream of the company, technology and product directions. Wikia was founded in 2004 by Jimmy Wales and Angela Beesley, and is headquartered in a brightly colored SOMA office in San Francisco, CA.
You will take on responsibility for all of Wikia’s advertising and revenue technology. Wikia has built some very innovative technologies in order to minimize end-user impact as well as maximize our ad revenue. You’ll be amongst the leaders that work on the next generation of these advertising technologies and have the opportunity to have an impact on an exciting product used by tens of millions of people while working with a fun, multicultural team.
The most important requirement is a passion for great engineering in service of Wikia’s users and business. The role requires the ability to work and problem-solve with a wide set of stakeholders – Product, Community Support, Sales and Engineering. Your ability and passion will have a lot to do with shaping the position.
- 3+ years of web-based software engineering, preferably in PHP.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Some of your stakeholders will be non-technical and some are not native English speakers.
- Some understanding of and experience with metrics and analytics.
- Excellent technical trouble-shooting skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced dynamic environment – we are a startup!
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
We don’t expect you to have all of the following, but the more the better:
- Experience implementing ad delivery systems.
- Experience integrating ads and other revenue features into web sites.
- Experience with high-traffic sites – tens of millions of pages a day.
- Extensive use of caching (e.g. Varnish or Squid), memcache, slave DBs to spread read load, etc.
- Experience with video.
- Experience with user-generated content sites (blogs, forums, email, etc.).
Principals only. Agency and recruiter resumes will be considered unsolicited resumes that are not subject to placement fees.