Engineering & Operations | Poznań, Poland
Wikia is a collaborative publishing platform that enables communities to discover, create, and share content on any topic in any language. Community-created wikis cover everything from the latest games, anime, music and TV shows to eco-friendly living and the world's best chocolate chip recipes. With 275,000 enthusiast communities attracting more than 100 million global unique visitors each month, Wikia is the largest user-generated media company and is a Top 30 site, according to Quantcast. Wikia was founded in 2004 by Jimmy Wales and Angela Beesley, and is headquartered in a brightly colored SOMA office in San Francisco, CA and branches in Poland, UK, Germany.
- Participate in the proof of concept, design, building, and operating of large scale systems,
- Provide large-scale data center hardware/operating system expertise,
- Support a high availability multi-site, multi-national, production web infrastructure,
- Identify, resolve, and prevent existing and future system bottleneck issues,
- Optimize and improve Wikia's infrastructure to support the growth of our platform,
- Participate in an on-call rotation and code release/deployment process.
- Must possess a strong mindset for automation,
- Strong experience working with large scale MySQL databases,
- Database troubleshooting and performance tuning skills,
- Working knowledge of LAMP base applications,
- Experience in scripting in one or more of the following languages: Perl, Bash, Python or Ruby,
- English language skills allowing verbal and written communication,
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Experience in data center infrastructure consisting of hundreds of servers/nodes,
- Experience with frameworks like Chef or Puppet,
- Experience in monitoring systems such as Nagios, Zabbix, Cacti, Ganglia, Splunk, or similar,
- Strong background in troubleshooting a complex dynamic web environment.