Engineering & Operations | San Francisco, CA
Like our wikis and communities, Wikia is passionate, high-energy and collaborative. Wikia is one of the largest "creative commons" sites in the world. We maintain over 200,000 wikis across an impressive array of subjects, spanning virtually all aspects of popular culture. Wikia is the top global video game publisher on the Web today, with over 70 million unique visitors a month. You’ll have the opportunity to shape company, technology and product directions. Wikia was founded in 2004 by Jimmy Wales and Angela Beesley, and is headquartered in a brightly colored SOMA office in San Francisco, CA. .
Our service is growing ridiculously fast. The list of interesting and challenging problems we have yet to tackle is long. Can you imagine engineering and operating a site that has over 300,000 mysql databases and needs to scale to hundreds of millions of users?
Our ideal candidate will be a senior level MySQL expert. Someone who's comfortable with low-level mysql tuning and pushing efficiency and QPS to its limits. Do you dive into stack traces, salivate over good GDB output and pore through the source code looking for bugs and optimizations? Do you love to automate tasks and build tools to do your work for you, then move on to more interesting challenges?
You will have an amazing opportunity to start here early and see the infrastructure grow to an even more massive scale and go from serving 10's of millions of users to 100’s of millions. You will make an impact on the world and you won't have to wait long to see it happen. We already have the growth to push our infrastructure to the limit. If you want to be a part of a great platform and an awesome team, this is your chance!
You must be technical and hands-on enough to contribute to the technical direction and leadership of the company. Recent hands-on development experience is preferred. Coding is not a significant part of this role but you should be willing and able to pitch in if needed.
• Extensive experience working with and tuning mySQL.
• Strong Linux experience (Debian/Ubuntu preferred).
• Must have a passion for automation and doing it right the first time.
• Database troubleshooting and performance tuning skills.
• Strong knowledge of LAMP stack.
• Good networking skills.
• Experience in scripting in one or more of the following languages: Perl, Bash, Python or Ruby.
• B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
We don’t expect you to have all of the following, but the more the better:
• Managing and tuning large scale MySQL databases numbering in the 1000's.
• Experience in data center infrastructure consisting of hundreds of servers/nodes.
• Experience with Chef or Puppet.
• Experience in monitoring systems such as Nagios, Zabbix, Cacti, Ganglia, OpenNMS or similar.
• Strong background in troubleshooting a complex dynamic web environment.
• Working knowledge of PHP.
• Experience in a start-up environment experiencing rapid growth.
• Experience in Gaming, Social Media and Entertainment industries a plus.
• MediaWiki experiences is a big plus!
Principals only. Agency and recruiter resumes will be considered unsolicited resumes that are not subject to placement fees.