Head of Growth and Content
Content | Remote, TX | Full Time
Wide Open Media Group is a modern media company embracing and amplifying the collective American identity. Our house of brands connects engaged audiences with educational and entertaining content deeply rooted in their passions and curiosities. We’re an archive of Americana content; Wide Open Spaces, Wide Open Country, Wide Open Eats, Wide Open Pets, Rare, FanBuzz, Alt_driver, and Wide Open Roads are some of the nation’s leading trade publications. Our brands resonate with over 25M readers each month on-site and reach over 90M Social users.
We’re looking for a Head of Growth and Content to propel and lead our growing Editorial and Social teams across our digital properties and all formats of their content production (written, visual, and engagement). Our Editorial and Social teams are well-versed in data-driven narratives and identifying reader trends. Our most ideal candidate to develop our network growth will be able think holistically about the business of content, and iterate and execute content strategies across every channel to foster sustained reader growth and brand recognition. They have a proven track record in empathetically leading a creative team and recruiting talent well-suited for current roles and those yet to come.
As the Head of Growth and Content strategy, you’ll work directly with the founders to initiate and propel Brand growth through traffic KPIs and content production. Your role is not Editorial or Social; it’s a reader-first, intent-driven Strategy position that understands how feeds flow and grow into sustainable, long-term communities of readers. You care about those readers and how to reach them by engaging old and welcoming new. You’ll have the autonomy to initiate strategies effectively and the opportunity to define future best practices at Wide Open Media across our Editorial, Content, Social, Commerce, and Video teams.
The candidate will be responsible for strategy execution across each vertical and related niche in our portfolio. The most successful candidate in this role is able to:
- Ideate content programs that reflect the core of Wide Open Media editorial networks, that are intent driven (SEO), social ready and geared to compound our audience growth.
- Develop long-term strategy across platforms (editorial, social, video) and channels (social, SEO, email) with an awareness of the day-to-day to execute on near term plans.
- Data Driven, with the ability to dive deep into Wide Open Media data insights to surface, visualize, and present relevant information to all levels of the organization.
- Say “Yes, and.” Lead a growing team of driven creatives (editorial, social, video) toward reader-first KPIs with a can-do attitude.
- Empower and a grow a team of Editorial, Content & Social staff to drive broad, scalable content quality production and distribution.
- Coordinate effort across Editorial, Content (SEO) Product and Tech teams.
- Grow and scale a large network of freelancer writers focused on SEO intent driven content.
The Wide Open Media Group offices are located in Austin, Texas. This is a remote position.
What you’ll bring:
- +10 years experience at a digital publisher and/or agency in an executive role running a network of sites, managing all aspects of growth across all site, social, email, partner, SEO and referral traffic.
- Intuitive, sharp communication skills, that allows you to set a vision that your team will execute against.
- A storytelling data brain. You can spot the narrative trend in the numbers and forecast the next steps to growth needed by marrying art and science.
- Adoration for organization and strategy. You can project manage with the best of them across mediums, departments, and teams for deadline-oriented commitments.
- Drive to create process. Experience in Google Analytics, Data Studio, Airtable, Slack bot, Zapier, and any way to make a system seamless.
- Voracious hunger for all things in the digital media unknown. You are curious and engaged with what comes next for American media and you’re passionate about an intent-based internet.
- True understanding the role of commerce plays within intent focused content and verticals.
- Reverence for all Wide Open Media editorial brands. You know a little George Strait and have a favorite Waffle House hashbrown style.
Apply with a copy of your most recent resume, and a short statement telling us why you'd make the perfect Head of Growth and Content. The Wide Open Media Group offices are located in Austin, Texas. This is a remote position.
If this sounds like you, we look forward to your application!