Content | Remote, TX | Contract
Wide Open Media Group is a modern media company embracing and amplifying the collective American identity. Our house of brands connects engaged audiences with educational and entertaining content deeply rooted in their passions and curiosities. Our digital properties include:
- Alt_driver is a jet-fueled community of people who know what it means to drive the Heartland and love all things that go vroom.
- FanBuzz is the digital sports publication where hometown pride takes center court through the latest news, heated debates, and glory date tributes. We cover trending stories from professional, collegiate, and high school athletics to capture the core of our passionate and curious fandoms.
- Rare covers the now, the unusual, and the amusing everyday life around the country. The real conversations, the dinner table discussions and the bar banter, because the most genuine American conversations happen here.
- Wide Open Country is a growing online community of people who appreciate country music from George Jones to the Turnpike Troubadours and know that it’s more than just music—it’s country life.
- Wide Open Eats is a growing online community of home cooks who make the most of what they have and embrace their curiosities in the kitchen.
- Wide Open Pets is America's digital backyard and barnyard where some of our best friends have four legs.
- Wide Open Roads delivers authentic automotive news, information, and entertainment to the expansive online audience of car lovers, truck owners, ATV riders, and fans of just about anything with an engine that runs on wheels.
- Wide Open Spaces honors the passion of sportsmen and women with informative, entertaining content about the original branch of America’s roots: the land.
We are looking for Content Writers for each of the digital properties listed above who will help us grow our social and organic presence with resonant and engaging articles, interviews, research, and more. Our ideal candidate can take a list of SEO-based insights, and craft a cohesive, brand-forward collection of excellent evergreen content.
The Content Writer will work closely with the Associate Director of Editorial to transform data into personable content that has multi-channel appeal. The most successful candidate will be technically proficient, detail-focused, and mindful of tight deadlines.
The Wide Open Media Group offices are located in Austin, Texas, but we’re considering candidates from all areas and the search is not limited to Austin. These are contract positions.
- At least 1 year of fast-paced web writing experience for web publishers
- At least 1 year of hands-on SEO writing experience
- At least 1 year of digital publishing experience
- Knowledge of/experience with WordPress
- Strong understanding of quality and engaging content with excellent writing skills across a range of verticals
- Ability to consistently source, conceptualize, and pitch new article ideas
- Ability to craft articles in a timely manner
- Detailed experience using SEO insights, Google Analytics, and editorial calendars
- Previous writing experience in a strong research and analytical role
Apply with a copy of your most recent resume, links to writing samples, and a short statement telling us why you'd make the perfect Content Writer for Wide Open Media.
If this sounds like you, we look forward to your application!