Senior Communications Director, Health Practice
Health | Washington, DC | Full Time
SENIOR COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR, HEALTH PRACTICE
Who We Are:
Waxman Strategies is a progressive-minded public affairs firm led by former Congressman Henry Waxman, called “one of the most accomplished legislators of his or any era” by President Obama. Now out of Congress, Waxman heads the firm’s all-star team. Our work is primarily in the areas of health care, the environment, and technology, media and telecommunications.
Our health care team uses its deep policy knowledge and experience to provide policy and regulatory analysis, strategic counsel, and communications support to our diverse portfolio of clients. Our work spans the issues of drug pricing, women’s health, safety net providers, and others. A sampling of our health care clients includes Medicines360, Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California, William & Flora Hewlett Foundation, the Commonwealth Fund, and others.
What We Need:
We are looking for a Senior Director with a strong background in communications for our health practice who can think creatively, interface confidently with clients, build deep relationships with journalists and respond nimbly to breaking news and rapidly evolving campaign scenarios. This person must be willing to work on a variety of clients and projects, which could include building communications campaigns to advance meaningful policy change, change behaviors and advance the work of health tech startups. They must demonstrate exceptional leadership skills, a highly collaborative work style, and the ability to assist in the development of new business. The ideal candidate should also combine prior work experience in health policy and the legislative process.
- Developing and running a portfolio of clients as the team lead, overseeing all long-term and day-to-day activity and ensuring deadlines and quality of work expectations are met
- Primary contact with clients and active participation in success of accounts, which involves developing and implementing integrated communications and PR strategies, plans and campaigns
- Working closely with clients to develop effective messaging for targeted audiences, securing speaking engagements and other opportunities to position issues, ideas and clients as necessary
- Crafting materials, including press releases, fact sheets, presentations, and contributed content such as op-eds, bylines and blog posts
- Cultivating strong industry relationships with media, analysts and other influencers
- Pitching stories and monitoring/reacting to industry news and trends
- Managing team resources and effectively coordinating work both up and down within teams as issues arise to meet or exceed agreed upon metrics
- Providing support in generating new business including research, brainstorming, program creation and effectively presenting at new business meetings and pitches
- 7-10 years of communications , preferably with some time at an agency
- Ambition to take on innovative campaigns, capitalize on media opportunities, drive communications program activity and evaluate campaign results against objectives
- Strong leadership qualities and capacity to effectively manage a team, provide day-to-day coaching and mentoring, as well as long-term professional development
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, honed organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple clients and deadlines simultaneously
- Ability to transition effortlessly from visionary planner to hands-on executor as situations demand it
Competitive and commensurate with experience
Waxman Strategies is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law.