Product Development | Austin, TX | Full Time
As a Visual Designer, you will be assigned to various projects and produce high-quality visual designs for the Watermark application UI — from concept to execution including components, icons, graphics, animations, typography, and controls. You must design and account for usability, accessibility, various interactive states, and a variety of resolutions for web browsers and mobile devices. You will also ensure that the UI visually communicates the path the UX designer has laid out and provide full screen or component-based mock-ups where needed.
- Conceptualize, create, and deliver user interface designs and other elements that account for screens, components, icons, graphics, and controls that are derived from interaction designs created by UX designers.
- Ensure factors such as devices, screen resolution, usability, and accessibility are accounted for in the user interface design and framework
- Contribute to and help maintain all internal UI documents, icons, elements, practices, behaviors, and style guides with an end goal of creating sustainable patterns for use by UX designers
- Envision, create, and execute innovative designs that have the potential to establish new best practices while maintaining design standards
- Develop an understanding of what are end-users do and why to communicate design rationale to team members across different functions of the business
- Articulate and justify design decisions by effectively presenting UI options and solutions for peer review from concept through final production
- Effectively collaborate with product managers, software developers, clients, and other subject matter experts throughout the product lifecycle
- Cultivate an ongoing educational approach to staying up to date on best practices, business trends, and emerging designs in the field of user experience and visual design
- BA/BS in visual communications, user experience design, graphic design, fine arts, or related field (or equivalent industry training/experience)
- 6+ months work experience designing usable web-based interfaces and delivering high-quality, innovative user interface designs and other graphical elements through all phases of the product design lifecycle
- Online portfolio of recent UI visual design work showcasing design skills
- Strong visual design sense with a focus on user-centric design
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a collaborative environment where your teammates critiques are essential to inform your iterative process
- Desire and passion to create innovative designs for an excellent and consistent user experience
- Strong understanding of web design issues, including browser usability and cross-platform compatibility, is necessary
- Strong attention to detail; pixel perfect focus
- Highly effective at communicating visual design decisions to development teams
- Expert proficiency with industry standard design tools such as Sketch and the Adobe Suite
- Proficient in nuances of designing for the web and mobile devices considering usability and accessibility
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Strong time management and prioritization skills with the ability to produce flawless work in a fast-paced environment
- 2+ years work experience designing usable web-based interfaces and delivering high-quality, innovative user interface designs and other graphical elements through all phases of the product design lifecycle
- Experience working as part of a global team with remote colleagues
- Experience with designing for UI localization
- Experience with designing for web accessibility
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Competitive salary
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) with match
- Commuter benefits
- Health club discounts
- Fantastic office location and fun, collaborative work environment
Watermark’s mission is to put better data into the hands of administrators, educators, and learners everywhere in order to empower them to connect information and gain insights into learning which will drive meaningful improvements. Through its innovative educational intelligence platform, Watermark supports institutions in developing an intentional approach to learning and development based on data they can trust.
With nearly 50 years of combined experience and 300 employees supporting over 1,000 institutions across the globe, Watermark is the largest provider of assessment and educational intelligence software for higher ed worldwide. We build purposeful technology and partner with our clients to support an intentional strategy of engaging students in compelling learning experiences and backing institutions with the educational intelligence needed to improve institutional effectiveness, program quality, and student learning outcomes.
For more information on Watermark, visit www.watermarkinsights.com.