Vice President, Corporate Counsel
Executive | New York, NY | Full Time
Watermark Insights is a high-growth provider of cloud-based assessment software for higher education institutions worldwide. Watermark provides educational intelligence systems that help colleges and universities gain insights into student learning so that they can improve the quality of educational programs, assess institutional effectiveness, and streamline the accreditation process. Watermark supports over 1,600 higher education institutions, including the majority of the top 200 U.S. News & World Report colleges.
Watermark’s mission is to put better data into the hands of administrators, educators, and learners everywhere to empower them to connect information and gain insights into learning which will drive meaningful improvements. Through its innovative educational intelligence platform, Watermark supports institutions in developing an intentional approach to learning and development based on trusted data.
The Company is headquartered in Austin with approx. 400 employees worldwide. The position can be located in any part of the U.S., with a preference toward the Eastern and Central time zones.
Vice President, Corporate Counsel
We have an excellent opportunity for a candidate who seeks to further their career at an exciting SaaS technology company with offices in NYC and Austin. We are looking for a bright, driven, and strategic-minded candidate with strong intellectual curiosity and professionalism to lead our Legal and Compliance team. Reporting to the CFO, the VP, Corporate Counsel has ultimate responsibility for all legal functions of the Company and serves as a key member of the leadership team. In this role, you will oversee all legal responsibilities and will provide guidance and support on organizational, legal, and business issues.
What You’ll Do:
- Review, draft, negotiate and close commercial agreements, including software subscription agreements, data processing agreements, data security agreements, NDAs, and vendor agreements, both independently and with outside counsel
- Manage our contract management system, while building and maintaining contracting playbooks, templates, and clause libraries
- Advise business partners on contract and RFP status, legal risks, and the legal liabilities associated with different deals
- Provide in-depth counsel across a variety of legal matters, including labor & employment, intellectual property, corporate and Board, and data privacy and security. Familiarity with GDPR, CCPA, SOC II audits and data residency matters a plus.
- Serve as a trusted business partner with all members of the leadership team to align departmental strategy or direction with the overall goals of the Company
- Ensure organizational operations and practices are in compliance with applicable laws and regulations at all times and recommend changes to organizational policies or procedures with the goal of minimizing risk
- Research and anticipate unique legal issues that could impact the Company
- Manage all local jurisdiction registrations
- Review all company and marketing communication to ensure that they are in compliance with legal requirements
- Implement and work with support teams to maintain comprehensive contracts database
- Implement short- and long-term strategies impacting the Company’s legal function, including plans to grow alongside Company’s growth trajectory
- Develop policies, practices, and procedures that have a significant impact on the Company
- Coordinate all legal efforts with the Company’s outside counsel -- contracts and agreements, corporate matters, employment and labor issues
- Hold a bachelor's degree and at least 5 years of experience gained in a large law firm and/or in-house a technology or face-paced environment. J.D. degree a must
- Active bar license, in good standing
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, along with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the Company. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain strong relationships with Sales, Human Resources, Finance, and executive leadership
- Strong negotiating skills with both legal and financial/commercial issues
- Use advanced techniques, theories, and processes to complete legal work and advise on legal practices
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
Why You Should Work at Watermark:
Watermark offers a generous FTO (flexible time off) policy, matching 401(k), work-from-home stipends & competitive health insurance programs. Watermark offers a great work environment and the opportunity to make an impact through its education intelligence mission and employee volunteer opportunities.