Sr. Core Software Engineer
Technology Operations | Milwaukee, WI | Full Time
The Sr. Core Software Engineer will design, implement, test, and support high quality software in a collaborative work environment, leveraging continuous integration and delivery practices.
Measures of Success
- Health of project teams
- Quality of code
- Contributions to team
- Analysis - The software engineer displays the ability to collect and evaluate information with creativity and critical thinking to solve problems, make decisions, and communicate solutions.
- Collaboration - The software engineer interacts with peers and cross team members to identify individual and collective solutions, agree on a plan of action, resolve issues, and arrive at results that serve mutual interests.
- Execution - The software engineer delivers a completed work product in a timely and efficient manner, avoiding unexpected diversions, with predictable and expected results.
- Technical Research - The software engineer shows intellectual curiosity by investing time and energy in technical skill and knowledge growth.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, implement, test, and support software solutions
- Automate unit and integration tests to ensure high quality software
- Apply clean code practices through regular refactoring
- Strategically address technical debt
- Collaborate with other Software Engineers through peer reviews, pair programming, and mentoring
- Assist DevOps Engineers with identifying resource needs for proposed features
- Collaborate with Software Architects to understand and advise on architectural and design requirements
- Assist Quality Assurance Engineers with the creation and maintenance of automated acceptance tests
- Other duties as required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive experience building software solutions using object-oriented analysis and design
- Extensive experience designing secure, scalable, and highly available web applications
- Extensive experience using test-driven development
- Extensive experience with Java, Spring, xUnit
- Familiar with big data, distributed architecture, microservices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, related field, or equivalent experience
- Five or more years of professional experience building software solutions in Java
- Competitive salary
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) with match
- Commuter FSA benefits
- Fantastic office location and fun, collaborative work environment
Watermark’s mission is to put better data into the hands of administrators, faculty, and students everywhere in order to empower them to connect information and gain insights into learning which will drive meaningful improvements. The company serves a highly engaged client base of more than 1,700 colleges and universities worldwide, with solutions for planning, assessment, ePortfolios, faculty activity reporting, course evaluations and institutional surveys, as well as curriculum, catalog, and syllabus management.
With award-winning solutions, Watermark is united and operates under one unique, value statement: People with Principles and Purpose drive Progress. In addition to an open, diverse, and inclusive culture built on transparency and continuous improvement, Watermarkers enjoy a competitive benefits packages, including flexible work arrangements, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, wellness perks, and more!
To learn more about Watermark’s educational intelligence solutions, visit www.watermarkinsights.com.
Watermark is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against an individual based on the individual's race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic or activity.