Senior Front End Developer
Engineering | Maine, ME | Full Time
Senior Front End Developer
Join Watermark’s growing team to improve Higher Education systems! Watermark is a suite of best-in-breed enterprise applications that help improve student outcomes and the effectiveness of Higher Education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Front End Software Developer will focus on duties and responsibilities with the following areas of emphasis:
Research and Development
- Develop and maintain an architectural blueprint and evolutionary roadmap that defines and communicates the strategic direction for these architectures in support of business and technical strategies
- Research industry best practices
- Interact with teams to identify, explore, and evaluate solution requirements
- Inform the technology group through research initiatives, requesting ideas from the corresponding functional teams
- Review research results with affected teams to achieve a consensus solution
- Support proposals with documentation and a reference implementation to facilitate adoption
- Consider efficiency/feasibility of potential solutions
- Analyze cost/benefit of potential solution and vendors
- Monitor, project, and plan for growth needs
- Participate in design reviews to provide early guidance to project teams
- Assist front end engineers in creating well defined acceptance criteria
- Prioritize problems/solutions in optimal order
- Ensure solutions are fully testable by other teams
- Contribute to the development of reusable components for use throughout Watermark.
- Transfer knowledge to appropriate teams via mentorship, discussion, and documentation
- Support implementation of selected solutions in partnership with associated teams
- Be a change agent. Help move our design, development, and delivery processes into the next generation.
- Use front-end frameworks such as: React, Angular, AngularJS, etc.
- Be a mentor to junior developers.
- Define architecture standards and governance and also anticipate areas where architecture standards may need to be developed.
- Advise and influence teams on front-end strategy, framework selection, emerging technology.
- Emphasize understandable architecture, with the goal of simple standardized solutions
- Identify needs for consistency across teams
- Document best practices and processes, providing supporting details to understand the "what" and "why" of a given solution
- Observe application of best practices, coaching team members where applicable
- HTML – Mastery of HTML: semantics, accessibility, and cross-browser compatibility.
- CSS – Mastery of CSS, including preprocessors (Sass/Less), naming methodologies such as BEM, and techniques for scaling CSS on large projects.
- Automation – Familiarity using Node libraries to ensure code quality: JSLint, JSHint, ESLint.
- Testing – Experience with JS unit testing approaches, such as: Jest, Jasmine, etc.
- Performance – Experience creating code optimized for production, via JS minification, “tree shaking” dependencies, image compression, etc.
- Collaboration – Ability to collaborate with team members across various disciplines: UX, design, tech, business, QA, etc.
- Planning – Experience planning and estimating complex software application projects.
- Source Control – Familiarity with source control (e.g. Git)
- Experience – 7+ years of experience building software solutions in browser-based languages.
- Agile – Knowledge of agile project execution, including Scrum and Kanban. Ability to act as Scrum leader for a team of developers.
- Build Tools – Webpack, Node, NPM.
- (Optional) .Net experience including C# and ASPX - primarily for understanding techniques in bootstrapping and deploying front end modules. Equivalent skills on other platforms would also help in this area.
- Analysis: The software engineer displays the ability to collect and evaluate information with creativity and critical thinking to solve problems, make decisions, and communicate solutions.
- Collaboration: The software engineer interacts with peers and cross team members to identify individual and collective solutions, agree on a plan of action, resolve issues, and arrive at results that serve mutual interests.
- Execution: The software engineer delivers a completed work product in a timely and efficient manner, avoiding unexpected diversions, with predictable and expected results.
- Technical Research: The software engineer shows intellectual curiosity by investing time and energy in technical skill and knowledge growth
Benefits and Perks
- Competitive salary
- Flexible PTO
- Flexible work schedule
- Family Bonding Leave
- Sick Leave
- Professional development reimbursement
- Gym reimbursement through UHC
- Health insurance plans
- HAS/FSA ( dependent Care FSA )
- Dental Insurance
- Life and Accidental insurance
- Short term disability
- 401 K with company matching
- Calm subscription
- Employee referrals incentive
- Affinity Groups
Watermark’s mission is to put better data into the hands of administrators, faculty, and students everywhere to empower them to connect information and gain insights into learning that will drive meaningful improvements. Through its innovative educational intelligence system, Watermark supports over 1,600 institutions around the world in developing an intentional approach to learning so that they can leverage data for a more holistic view of learning, faculty and staff impact, and institutional quality.
For more information on Watermark, visit www.watermarkinsights.com.
Watermark is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against an individual based on the individual's race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic or activity.