Product Design Lead- Student Assessment & Learning
UI/UX | New York, NY | Full Time
The Product Design Lead - Student Assessment and Learning takes a leading role in guiding and developing the UX strategy of Student Assessment and Learning solutions. They act as a mentor and actively design with their team. They contribute to and take ownership of design strategies and must work closely with the Platform Design Lead to ensure a strategy in line with our mission to empower institutions with better data to improve learning. They take an active role in staffing decisions and project planning needed for their area of responsibility. They must regularly work across teams/locations/departments.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and evangelize a clear UX vision for the assigned Product and associated modules that serves to further the Watermark product vision and strategy
- Collaborate with product managers in the development of product goals and roadmap
- Create and maintain UX strategy documents such as personas, sitemaps, user flows, customer journey maps for area of responsibility
- Work closely with Engineering Architects to ensure the Student Assessment and Learning software architecture supports our user’s journeys today and in the future
- Collaborate with the Product Design Lead - Watermark Platform to lead product visioning and inception efforts for the new modules or feature sets in collaboration with other design leads and product managers
- Design or delegate the design of product line modules and key workflows
- Plan, moderate and lead interviews, focus groups, remote and one-on-one usability sessions to validate designs, obtain user preferences, and feedback.
- Proactively identify new opportunities from user feedback and work with product manager to prioritize.
- Collaborate with other design leads and product managers to coordinate UX changes that support integration into the Watermark suite and promote consistency between products and workflows
- Establish metrics to measure the success for the user experience across product line and follow-up on insights gained
- Take an active role in project planning by proactively identify what needs to be done; collaborates and communicates with product owners, designers, and others as needed to get it done
- Collaborate with UX designers, design technologists, and front end development to ensure we have up to date and clear interaction pattern libraries
- Coach team members on how to create great designs and improve performance by conducting informal and formal feedback sessions
- Make staffing decisions as needed for their area of responsibility
- Represent your designers in collaboration with other teams, executives, managers, and peers
- Actively contribute to team and company process and standards, taking a leading role where needed
- Strong time management and prioritization skills with the ability to produce flawless work in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple projects at one time, switching focus between projects as required to manage priorities
- Clear and confident communicator with an affinity for visual storytelling
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve complex user experience problems while balancing business and technological constraints
- Demonstrated strong proficiency in UX research, including planning, designing and facilitating user sessions and client workshops, analyzing findings and articulating results
- Demonstrated ability to balance business input with product, dev and design team needs (ie: strategizing blue sky solutions that can be properly chunked down into releasable pieces)
- Demonstrated ability to simplify and turn complex interactions into intuitive user experiences
- Demonstrated ability to unpack, map out and explain complex problem spaces in order to identify the best UX path to solve for them
- Demonstrated exceptional skills in ideation, wireframing, user flows and information architecture
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and mentorship within a design team environment
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize and focus ideas, research and creative vision into tangible direction for product team
- Demonstrated to work effectively in a team setting including synthesizing abstract ideas into concrete design implications, principles, frameworks and patterns
Good to Have
- Fluent with Sketch
- Proficiency with Abstract and Axure
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in HCI, Human Factors, Design, or a related discipline. (Master’s preferred) or equivalent practical experience
- Online portfolio of recent UX work showcasing design skills
- 5+ years experience as a UX design embedded in a design team in Enterprise UX, B2B, EdTech, and/or SaaS environment
- 4+ years experience working in an Agile software development environment
- Past experience in working with an established design pattern library
Watermark’s mission is to put better data into the hands of administrators, faculty, and students everywhere to empower them to connect information and gain insights into learning that will drive meaningful improvements. Through its innovative educational intelligence system, Watermark supports over 1,600 institutions around the world in developing an intentional approach to learning so that they can leverage data for a more holistic view of learning, faculty and staff impact, and institutional quality.
For more information on Watermark, visit www.watermarkinsights.com.
Watermark is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against an individual based on the individual's race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic or activity.