Family Navigation | Redmond, WA | Part Time
Summary: Washington Autism Alliance & Advocacy (WAAA) is an exciting organization that does cutting edge work on behalf of individuals with ASD/DD and their families. You could be part of this amazing work!
WAAA seeks a part-time legal services intake screener & Family Resource Navigator. The work schedule is 20 hours per week Monday through Friday; 9:00 a.m. to 1:00. Due to the extensive training involved in this position, we ask for a two-year commitment from anyone hired.
Screening Intake Responsibilities:
- Interview callers who are seeking help with a health system or special education legal problem;
- Complete member intake and assessments to gather relevant information about members and to determine member strengths, needs, and goals;
- Enter caller’s financial and personal information into a computerized case management system while speaking with caller;
- Determine caller’s financial eligibility for service and tell caller what level of service they are eligible for;
- Identify callers with high-priority issues to direct to WAAA advocate for legal advice and possible referrals;
- Route cases into type of legal problem(s) presented;
- Work with WAAA advocates and other staff to assure high quality service to callers;
- Daily document all contacts and intake and assessments in Apricot case-management system;
Resource Navigation Responsibilities:
- Help bolster the WAAA professional directory and resource guide;
- Act as a first point of contact for families and individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and other Developmental Disabilities (DD) in need of resource information, family navigation, or insurance navigation to improve access to evidenced based healthcare services, effective services in schools, and supportive community based resources;
- Promote self-help materials to families and organizations providing advice to individuals with complaints or questions about coverage for health insurance and disability-related services;
- Gain familiarity with area resources and provide appropriate referrals;
- When speaking to professionals or representing WAAA in the public, act as a voice for the parents;
- Exhibit qualities of dependability, empathy, genuineness, respect, and maintain a positive and supportive attitude.
Desired Skills and Attributes:
- Technologically independent: possess dependable computer skills in word processing, including proficient and accurate typing.
- Comfortable with telephone communication, especially with callers who may be in a crisis situation.
- Ability to convey patience and objectivity with a nonjudgmental attitude yet control interview.
- Ability to gather and key in information simultaneously, taking clear and accurate notes.
- Attention to detail and good organizational skills.
- Good interpersonal skills, positive attitude, and respect for coworkers and clients.
- Ability to troubleshoot issues as they arise.
- Quick learner; ability to work in time-pressured environment
Education and Experience:
- Familiarity with legal terminology and concepts preferred.
- Experience working with low-income clients or in a legal setting is preferred.
- Spanish language proficiency a plus.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent preferred
- Demonstrated experience and/or connection to ASD/DD communities is preferred. WAAA is especially interested in qualified candidates whose professional, personal and/or service experience allow them to contribute to and support WAAA’s commitment to equitable healthcare and education.
Compensation Your starting compensation will be $18.00/hour working approximately 20 hours/week. Pay is direct deposit. Upon acceptance, please work with your supervisor to determine a regular work schedule.
WAAA benefits package is available to regular full-time employees who are scheduled 32 or more hours/week. Therefore you are not eligible for benefits (e.g. paid vacation, sick leave, paid holidays, and Health Benefits). Pay periods are twice monthly. You will have your pay directly deposited.
- Travel: If you are required to travel on behalf of WAAA, you will be reimbursed for your travel cost per federal regulations ($.575/Mile). This excludes travel to and from work and home.
TO APPLY: Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter that summarize your relevant professional, academic, and volunteer experiences, and clearly explains how your professional background and interests are a fit with the essential skills and qualifications described. Incomplete applications will not be considered.