Warehouse and Custodian Supervisor
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | Greater Los Angeles Area, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
VOALA services for children place an emphasis on Education, Literacy, and Health. The skills and confidence gained from our programs promote a stable home life and ensure a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Working closely with the family unit and the community itself, we encourage the development of a positive narrative for our children providing internal voices of confidence, kindness, hope and accountability to building a stronger future.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Warehouse & Custodian Supervisor oversees the Head Start / EHS custodial teams and warehouse operations at all Head Start/Early Head Start facilities through preparation of work schedule, time clock accountability, instruction of work, inspection of work, and education/hands on instruction of proper job duty techniques. The Warehouse & Custodian Supervisor ensures that all incoming and outgoing inventory is processed according to requirements. Oversee inventory controls. The duties include preparing schedules for subordinates, training new employees on how to use machinery and monitoring compliance with safety standards. This role centers around organization and planning tasks to maintain high performance of the custodial and warehouse's processes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Creates and follows daily Warehouse checklist; Assures tools and supplies are stocked and appropriately secured in store rooms; maintains cleanliness and order of store rooms.
- Prepares orders by processing requests and supply orders; pulling materials; packing boxes; placing orders in delivery area.
- Receive merchandise for delivery and verify its contents, count and stock merchandise based on inventory control log.
- Maintains inventory controls by collecting stocks location orders and printing requests.
- Maintains quality service by following organization standards.
- Maintains safe and clean work environment by keeping shelves, pallet area, and workstations neat; maintain clean shipping supply area; complying with procedures, rules and regulations.
- Completes reports by entering required information.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing publication.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Completes deliveries by driving trucks or vans.
- Must know how to use forklift.
- Supervises all tasks needed to maintain cleanliness, sanitation and safety of the Head Start / EHS facilities
- Oversees completion of daily maintenance checklist provided to subordinates; Assures tools and supplies are stocked and appropriately secured in vehicles as well as in maintenance store rooms; maintains cleanliness and order of store rooms; performs regular inventory of cleaning supplies and minor repair items.
- Checks facilities for any safety concerns; understands local and building safety codes and requirements as well as OSHA, health department and EPA requirements; reports all deficiencies to program management
- With Maintenance Department, plans and schedules facility maintenance, including major repairs
- Drives company vehicle to restock supplies and supervise locations
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- High School Diploma or GED
- Fork Lift certification
- Valid California Drivers License
- 2 years general warehouse experience.
- Minimum of 1 year of custodial experience
- Must have 1 year of supervisory experience in any field.
- Must be able to understand how to safely work with caustic chemicals and cleaning materials, including storing and disposing of hazardous materials or waste.
- Strong knowledge of warehouse procedures
- Strong knowledge of inventory control practices
- Understanding of full range of warehouse tools (hand and power) and materials
- Knowledge of Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Microsoft word.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong leadership skills, including the abilities to set goals, motivate and manage
- Solid organizational and time management skills
- Proven ability to get results in a complex, fast paced environment
- Demonstrated Ability to lead teams in maintenance or repair projects
- Strong attention to detail
- Effective communication skills, including writing, speaking and active listening
- Good project management skills, including strong decision-making and problem-solving abilities
- Exceptional time management and organization skills
- Comfortable using organizational computer applications
- Able to understand written instructions, material requisitions, work orders, and inspection reports
- Ability to proficiently use an extensive range of tools and equipment, specifically those needed for regular warehouse operations
- Ability to complete routine tasks within communicated quality standards.
- Physical strength and the ability to walk or stand for long periods of time
- Dependable, collaborative, Punctual, positive mindset, flexible, and organized.
- An associate degree in business operations, supply chain management, procurement or related field
- Work experience in Head Start/Early Head Start programs.
- Understanding of supply chain management.
- Bilingual English/Spanish or other language i.e. Armenian or Farsi.
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.