Veteran Services Coordinator
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
The Veterans’ Services Coordinator oversees the Section 8 housing concerns for veterans at our Ballington Plaza facility. The Coordinator:
- Assists resident veterans with completion and filing of necessary documents;
- Monitors resident records to ensure completeness and accuracy of all required documentation needed for housing benefits
- Monitors compliance to funding sources’ regulations as well as to VOALA internal policies and procedures
- Reviews and confers with case managers on individual resident goals and objectives; monitors resident progress and initiates new strategies when necessary.
- Defines procedures to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of overall Section 8 housing operations at the facility; documents and updates procedures
- Develops and maintains positive inter-agency relations in order to enhance the networking and referral processes; keeps current and appropriate records of referrals.
- Bachelors degree; MSW or MFT preferred
- 1 - 3 years of experience working in adult human services, such as homelessness, supportive counseling, and crisis intervention
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Ability to develop relationships with adult clients as well as a wide variety of service stakeholders (health and public benefit agencies)
- Effective written and oral communications skills
- U.S. Armed Services veteran preferred
- Bilingual (Spanish) helpful
- Valid California driver's license, insurance and reliable transportation
- Database experience (HMIS) strongly preferred