Tutor - Multi Subject (UB Talent Search Leuzinger)
Youth Services | Lawndale, CA | Part Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Upward Bound is one of seven federally-funded TRiO programs. The Upward Bound program was established to provided fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal is to increase the rate at which participants complete the secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education.
Pay Rate: $14.00 hourly
The Academic Tutor is responsible for providing academic assistance to assigned students in group or individual sessions. These sessions are designed to provide advise on ways students can approach or solve a coursework problem; to demonstrate to students study techniques and test preparation that may improve grades. The Academic Tutor serves as a motivator and mentor.
- Tutor high school students (9-12) after school in classroom/group setting
- Provide high school students with academic support to improve their GPA, grades, and skills
- Teach in other areas as needed to improve student's subject comprehension
- Provide academic tutoring in rigorous secondary school courses to assigned program participants
- Document all contacts with program participants as required
- Minimum of college sophomore classification (higher classification preferred)
- Must be able to demonstrate a 3.0 GPA or higher in subject area of competency
- Ability to effectively tutor students and track academic progress
- Ability to asses academic needs and evaluate participants in an academic
- Professional or personal experience in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting project participants
- Must be available on at least two of the required days (M/Tues/Wed/Thurs) 3pm - 5pm