Tutor - Math (EHS - East LA)
Children's Services | Los Angeles, CA | Part Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
The Academic Tutor is responsible for providing academic assistance to assigned students having difficult with College Math requirements in group or individual sessions. These sessions are designed to provide advice on ways students can approach or solve a coursework problem; to demonstrate to students study techniques and test preparation that may improve grades. The Tutor serves as a motivator and mentor.
- Establish liaison with the coordinator and work under their direction to assist students/employees
- Help students develop the study skills necessary for academic success by providing study skills (i.e. time management, note-taking, textbook reading, test-taking, workshops when appropriate)
- Provide students/employees with academic support to improve their skills
- Document all contacts with program participants as required
- Must be able to demonstrate a 2.7 GPA with knowledge in one of the following subject areas: Algebra II, Math Analysis, college Math and/or Calculus
- Minimum of college junior classification (higher classification preferred)
- Minimum of one year tutoring experience in area of subject competency
- Ability to effectively tutor students and track academic progress
- Ability to assess academic needs and evaluate participants in an academic setting
- Must be available to work during the hours of 5:00 pm to 7:30pm Monday – Thursday
- Professional or personal experience in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting students
Must have health examination at the time of employment and verification of a T.B. clearance issued within six (6) months prior to employment, renewed when required. In addition, annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1); Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization. Ability to interact with children in a very busy environment; therefore, must be physically able to perform lifting (50 lbs.), squatting/kneeling, and move quickly.
In order to make home visits and travel to different school sites, offices, etc., must have access to an automobile with adequate insurance coverage and a valid California driver’s license, or have means to other easily accessible transportation. Fingerprint clearance required prior to employment.