Tutor - Foreign Language (Upward Bound Dorsey)
Youth Services | South Los Angeles, CA | Part Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Upward Bound is one of seven federally-funded TRiO programs. The Upward Bound program was established to provided fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal is to create the rate at which participants complete the secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education.
- Tutor high school students (9-12) in classroom/group setting
- Provide high school students with academic support to improve their GPA, grades, and skills
- Teach in other areas as needed to improve student's subject comprehension
- Provide academic tutoring in rigorous secondary school courses to assigned program participants
- Document all contacts with program participants as required
- Develop curriculum for the foreign language workshop
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 with proficiency in a language other than English
- Ability to work two Saturdays of the month from 8am-3pm
- Must be a rising junior, senior, or graduate in good academic standing.
- Experience with tutoring, advising, or peer counseling preferred.
- Ability to work with low-income, first generation high school students.
- Developing curriculum for high school students