Tutor - As needed - (Upward Bound Los Angeles)
Upward Bound - Talent Search - TRIO | Los Angeles, CA | Part Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
The Upward Bound identifies and assists individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds who have the potential to succeed in higher education. The program provides academic, career and financials advising to students; encourages them to graduate from high school and continue their post-secondary education. The program operates an academic and summer component. Provides after school enrichment program, college and career tours.
Position Overview: The tutor is responsible for teaching or explaining course skills concepts that are unfamiliar to the student. Utilize approaches to problem solving that are hands on and creative. Provide on-going assessments to determine the student’s level of mastery. Monitor academic progress, and retention in areas that were reviewed. Evaluate the students study and test taking skills.
Pay Rate $14.49
- Provide ongoing assessments in mathematics, science and English in order to plan and implement intervention lessons
- Assist participants with the completion and review of homework, and referral to website for additional resources
- Prepare and submit weekly reports for students who received tutoring assistance for documentation
- Encourage participants to utilize Study Camera On-line tutorial services
- Must have at least a high school diploma or GED
- Junior attending a post-secondary school and majoring in math or science minimum of GPA 3.5
- 2 years of tutoring experience
- Experience working with students grades 9th-12th preferably attending public schools
- Experience with tutoring students from disadvantage backgrounds, and programs that focus on college access, retention and academic performance
Special Skills Required to Perform this Position:
- Knowledge of technological resources utilized to improve students’ academic skills development
Preferred Skills for this Position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science or Mathematics preferred
- Knowledgeable of courses in Mathematics, English, and sciences (physical, biology, chemistry or physics)