Temporary Cook at Pathways to Home
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Temporary
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Pathways to Home is a year-round emergency shelter serving homeless individuals in the South Los Angeles area. Those that are served are provided temporary shelter as well as case management services to assist with job search, medical needs, permanent housing and other supportive services. Pathways to Home is dedicated to transforming lives one story at a time.
The Cook will:
- Prepare, cook and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Prepare raw food for cooking by washing, peeling, cutting and seasoning; monitor food during cooking process including testing, turning and/or stirring; regulate temperatures of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters, etc.
- Maintain food inventory and prepare food supply order; ensure proper food storage temperatures and rotate stored food properly
- Ensure kitchen area(s) are clean at all times; sweep/mop floors, wash/scrub sinks, ovens, stove and grill
- Maintain safe environment at all times in accordance with industry standards and safety regulations
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, and work nights, weekends and some holidays
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 2 - 4 years of experience as a cook
- Knowledgeable of the State of California health code policies and procedures
- Training in foods, nutrition, dietetics, and/or food preparation
- Excellent organizational and motivational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Preferred Skills for this Position:
- Valid California driver's license and clean driving record