Teacher Supervisor South LA
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | South Los Angeles, CA | Full Time | From $24.88 to $26.19 per hour
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
HEAD START/EARLY HEAD START PROGRAM
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (infant – 5 years old) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally Monday through Friday.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Head Start Teacher Supervisor will provide oversite at a single location, ensuring children experience an environment that includes varied activities to help children develop socially, emotionally, intellectually and physically in a manner appropriate to their age and stage of development, with the overall goal being to achieve social competence for the child.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures implementation of the program curriculum for children enrolled in classes. Administers plans for individuals and group activities to stimulate learning and promote parent involvement in the children’s learning. Works cooperatively with Teacher(s), Assistant Teacher(s), and Family Advocate(s) to provide information and resources to enrolled families;
- Review end-of-the-month teacher paperwork for accuracy and to ensure timely submission of monthly paperwork and reports;
- Ensures that the curriculum plan implemented meets the needs of all children, families and staff;
- Integrates various Head Start services, such as parent involvement, social services, nutrition, health, disabilities, and mental health into daily program activities;
- Oversees the physical environment consistent with state and local licensing requirements and the health and safety needs of the children.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Proof at the time of hire
- TB clearance within 6 months prior
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization
- Health screening at the time of employment
- Requires ability to interact with children in a busy environment including, but not limited to:
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently kneel and squat
- Ability to move quickly
- BA in ECE/CD or closely related field.
- Child Development Permit
- Site Supervisor Child Development Permit (or in progress)
- 24 CD units of ECE/CD, plus 6 admin units and 2 adult supervision units.
- Minimum 2 years of teaching experience
- Minimum 1 year of supervisor experience
- Child Development principles and theories
- Demonstrated computer proficiency; including word processing, spreadsheet, and online applications
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong written and verbal communication, set priorities, handle multiple tasks, problem solving ability
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients
- Must be able to clearly impart information to children in a manner that is understandable to them according to age and background
- Ability to work well as a team member
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards
- Dependable, collaborative, have regular/dependable attendance, be prompt, positive mindset, flexible, organized
- Management coursework
- 4 years of teaching experience
- Knowledge of Head Start performance standards
- Knowledge of Creative curriculum
- Knowledge of Licensing regulations
- Familiarity with education / development software applications
- Bilingual English and Spanish (written and verbal)
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment