Teacher I (Sub / As-needed) LA County - Multiple Locations
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | Greater Los Angeles Area, CA | Part Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (ages 2 – 5) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally 32 hours per week for a 10 month assignment. The Substitute Teacher travels throughout Los Angeles County on regular basis.
The Head Start Teacher Substitute (as needed)instructs children in activities designed to promote their social, emotional, physical, and intellectual growth. This position assists in planning individual and group activities to stimulate learning according to the ages of the children. The Teacher is performs the following:
- Provides children with an environment that includes varied age-appropriate activities with the goal of achieving social competence for each child.
- Implements the program curriculum for children enrolled in morning and afternoon classes
- Plans individual and group activities to stimulate learning as well as supports and enhances the role of parents as prime educators of their children
- Conducts daily classroom planning and maintains children's records; submits accurate monthly paperwork and reports on a timely basis.
- Observes, screens and assesses each child's developmental level and develops goals that relate to the child's individual development
- Integrates various Early Head Start services into learning such as parent involvement, social services, nutrition, health and mental health services
- Provides a physical environment consistent with state and local licensing requirements as well as the health and safety of the children
- Provides a learning environment that reflects the varied cultural and ethnic backgrounds of the children in the program and in the larger communities in which they live
- Transcripts required to prove a minimum of 12 semester units in Early Childhood Education / Child Development
- Valid Child Development Teacher permit or higher preferred
- Excellent computer skills including working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Fingerprint clearances required prior to employment
- Valid California driver's license and access to automobile with adequate insurance (or have easy access to other means of reliable transportation) to make home visits and travel to other school sites
- Proof at the time of hire
- TB clearance within 6 months prior
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization
- Health screening at the time of employment
- Requires ability to interact with children in a busy environment including, but not limited to:
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Frequently kneel and squat
- Ability to move quickly
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and oral) desirable
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.