Teacher Head Start East Los Angeles
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | East Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
VOALA services for children place an emphasis on Education, Literacy, and Health. The skills and confidence gained from our programs promote a stable home life and ensure a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Working closely with the family unit and the community itself, we encourage the development of a positive narrative for our children providing internal voices of confidence, kindness, hope and accountability to building a stronger future.
HEAD START/EARLY HEAD START
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (ages 0 – 5) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Children also receive a broad array of health services including screenings and referrals, maintenance of immunization schedules, nutrition assessments and follow-ups, mental health assessments as part of initial screenings, and determination if any mental or physical delays are present. Children receive health and dental services and have access to ongoing and acute and routine health and dental care. Enrolled children receive healthy meals, along with an assessment of their nutritional needs and the necessary follow-ups. Nutrition education is available for parents and incorporated into daily classroom activities for the children.
Cities served include: Carson, Commerce, Compton, Culver City, Del Rey, East Los Angeles, El Segundo, Harbor City, Hawthorne, South Central Los Angeles, Lomita, Lynwood, Mar Vista, Newhall, North Hollywood, Pacoima, Palms, Paramount, Rancho Palos Verdes, San Fernando, San Pedro, Santa Clarita, Shadow Hills, South Central Los Angeles, South LA, Studio City, Sun Valley, Sunland, Sylmar, Torrance, Tujunga, Val Verde, Valencia, Valley Village, Wilmington.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Early Head Start Teacher will provide children with an environment that includes varied activities to help children develop socially, emotionally, intellectually and physically in a manner appropriate to their age and stage of development, with the overall goal being to achieve social competence for the child.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implements the program curriculum for children enrolled in morning and afternoon classes (double sessions). Plan individual and group activities to stimulate learning and promote parent involvement in the child’s learning. Works cooperatively with Co- Teacher and Family Advocate (FA) to provide information and resources to enrolled families;
- Provide children with an environment that includes varied activities to help children develop socially, emotionally, intellectually and physical in manner appropriate to their age and stage of development, with the overall goal being to achieve social competence for the child;
- Conducts daily classroom planning, maintains children’s records in conjunction with the FA and submits accurate monthly paperwork on timely basis;
- Observes, screens and assess child development level and develops goals that relate to the children’s (individualization);
- Provide a planned program of activities, which supports and enhances the role of parents as the prime educators of their children;
- Provide a learning environment that reflects the varied cultural and ethnic backgrounds of the children in the program and the larger communities and societies in which they live;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Proof at the time of hire
- TB clearance within 6 months prior
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization
- Health screening at the time of employment
- Requires ability to interact with children in a busy environment including, but not limited to:
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently kneel and squat
- Ability to move quickly
- Associates Degree in ECE/Child Development or related field.
- 24 ECE/CD units
- Child Development permit.
- 2 years of teaching experience.
- 1 years of supervisor experience
- Child Development principles and theories
- Proficient Microsoft Office Suite: Outlook, MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel. Familiarity with Database and report generation.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills,
- Able to set priorities, handle multiple tasks, meet established deadlines
- Problem solving skill, decision making, interpret data, detail oriented, accurate, analytical, organize, read/write;
- Proficient in understanding and communication of the spoken and written English language
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards
- Dependable, collaborative, have regular/dependable attendance, be prompt, positive mindset, flexible, organized
- Management coursework.
- 4 years of teaching experience.
- Head Start performance standards.
- Creative curriculum.
- Licensing regulations.
- Bilingual English and Spanish (written and verbal).
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.