Teacher Early Head Start North Hollywood
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | North Hollywood, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
VOALA services for children place an emphasis on Education, Literacy, and Health. The skills and confidence gained from our programs promote a stable home life and ensure a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Working closely with the family unit and the community itself, we encourage the development of a positive narrative for our children providing internal voices of confidence, kindness, hope and accountability to building a stronger future.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Early Head Start Teacher instructs children in activities designed to promote their social, emotional, physical, and intellectual growth. This position assists in planning individual and group activities to stimulate learning according to the ages of the children.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide children with an environment that includes varied activities to help children develop socially, emotionally, intellectually, and physically, in a manner appropriate to their age and stage of development, with the overall goal being to achieve social competence for the child;
- Implements the program curriculum for children enrolled in morning and afternoon classes (double sessions).
- Plan individual and group activities to stimulate learning and promote parent involvement in the child’s learning.
- Conducts daily classroom planning and maintains children's records; submits accurate monthly paperwork and reports on a timely basis
- Observe, screen and assess a child development level and develops goals that relate to the child's individual development.
- Integrate various Head Start and Early Head Start services into the learning of each child; such as parent involvement, social services, nutrition, health, mental health services, and disabilities;
- Provide a physical environment consistent with state and local licensing requirements and the health and safety needs of the children.
- Provide a planned program of activities, which supports and enhances the role of parents as the prime educators of their children;
- Provide a learning environment that reflects the varied cultural and ethnic backgrounds of the children in the program.
- Other duties as required
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelors degree in Early Childhood Education, Child Development, or a related field.
- Minimum 24 units in Early Childhood Education/ Child Development
- 6 semester units in infant/toddler studies (At least 3 semester units is required at hire and any additional units for a total of 6 units must be completed within 1 year of hire)
- 1 year minimum of teaching experience
- Child Development principles and theories
- Excellent computer skills
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to clearly impart information to children in a manner that is understandable to them according to age and background
- Prompt, collaborative, team player, adaptable, communicator, organized consistent, and compassionate
- Valid Child Development Teacher permit (preferred to be completed within 1 year of hire)
- 6 semester units in Administration (At least 3 semester units is preferred at hire and any additional units for a total of 6 units is preferred to be completed within 1 year of hire)
- 2 semester units in Adult Supervision (a total of 2 units preferred to be completed within 1 year of hire)
- 2 years of teaching experience
- Knowledge of Head Start performance standard Creative Curriculum.
- Bilingual English and Spanish (written and verbal).
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.