Teacher Assistant - (HS - San Fernando Valley/Santa Clarita)
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | San Fernando Valley, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (ages 2 – 5) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally Monday through Friday, 7:45 am to 4:15 pm (10-1/2 months per year).
The Head Start Teacher Assistant assists teaching staff in instructing children and stimulating learning. This position assists in planning individual and group activities to stimulate learning according to the ages of the children. The Teacher Assistant performs the following:
- Provides children with an environment that includes varied age-appropriate activities with the goal of achieving social competence for each child
- Implements the program curriculum for children enrolled in morning and afternoon classes (double session).
- Plans individual and group activities to stimulate learning as well as supports and enhances the role of parents as prime educators of their children
- Conducts daily classroom planning and maintains children's records; submits accurate monthly paperwork and reports on a timely basis
- Observes, screens and assesses each child's developmental level and develops goals that relate to the child's individual development
- Integrates various Early Head Start services into learning such as parent involvement, social services, nutrition, health and mental health services
- Provides a physical environment consistent with state and local licensing requirements as well as the health and safety of the children
- Provides a learning environment that reflects the varied cultural and ethnic backgrounds of the children in the program and in the larger communities in which they live
- Associate's degree in Early Childhood Education or related area preferred
- Transcripts required to prove a minimum of 24 semester units in Early Childhood Education / Child Development
- Valid Child Development Associate Teacher permit
- Excellent computer skills including working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Fingerprint clearances required prior to employment
- Valid California driver's license and access to automobile with adequate insurance (or have easy access to other means of reliable transportation) to make home visits and travel to other school sites
- Proof at the time of hire
- TB clearance within 6 months prior
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization
- Health screening at the time of employment
- Requires ability to interact with children in a busy environment including, but not limited to:
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Frequently kneel and squat
- Ability to move quickly
- Must have experience working with children with in the home or in an education program
- Must be able to clearly impart information to children in a manner that is understandable to them according to age and background
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and oral) desirable.