Teacher Assistant Head Start South Los Angeles
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | South Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (ages 2 – 5) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally Monday through Friday, (10-1/2 months per year).
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Head Start Teacher Assistant assists teaching staff in instructing children and stimulating learning. This position assists in planning individual and group activities to stimulate learning according to the ages of the children.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Helps provide children with an environment that includes varied activities to help children develop socially, emotionally, intellectually and physically in manner appropriate to their age and stage of development, with the overall goal being to achieve social competence for the child
- Helps integrate various HS services into the learning, such as parent involvement, social services, nutrition, health and mental health services
- Helps provide a physical environment consistent with state and local licensing requirements and the health and safety needs of the children
- Helps provide a planned program of activities, which supports and enhances the role of parents as the prime educators of their children
- Helps provide a learning environment that reflects the varied cultural and ethnic backgrounds of the children in the program and the larger communities and societies in which they live
- Other duties as required
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Valid California driver's license and access to automobile with adequate insurance (or have easy access to other means of reliable transportation) to make home visits and travel to other school sites
- Proof at the time of hire
- TB clearance within 6 months prior
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization
- Health screening at the time of employment
- Requires ability to interact with children in a busy environment including, but not limited to:
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently kneel and squat
- Ability to move quickly
- High school diploma or GED
- Transcripts required to prove a minimum of 24 semester units in Early Childhood Education and/or Child Development
- Experience working with children with in the home or in an education program
- Excellent computer skills including working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to clearly impart information to children in a manner that is understandable to them according to age and background
- Prompt, collaborative/team player, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, and compassionate
- Associate's degree in Early Childhood Education or related area
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal)
- Valid Child Development Associate Teacher permit
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.