Teacher Assistant Head Start Central and East Los Angeles
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | Greater Los Angeles Area, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
VOALA services for children place an emphasis on Education, Literacy, and Health. The skills and confidence gained from our programs promote a stable home life and ensure a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Working closely with the family unit and the community itself, we encourage the development of a positive narrative for our children providing internal voices of confidence, kindness, hope and accountability to building a stronger future.
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (Infant – 5 years old) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally Monday through Friday.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Head Start Teacher Assistant assists teaching staff in instructing children and stimulating learning. This position assists in planning individual and group activities to stimulate learning according to the ages of the children.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Helps provide children with an environment that includes varied activities to help children develop socially, emotionally, intellectually and physically in manner appropriate to their age and stage of development, with the overall goal being to achieve social competence for the child
- Helps integrate various Head Start services into the learning, such as parent involvement, social services, nutrition, health and mental health services
- Helps provide a physical environment consistent with state and local licensing requirements and the health and safety needs of the children
- Helps provide a planned program of activities, which supports and enhances the role of parents as the prime educators of their children
- Helps provide a learning environment that reflects the varied cultural and ethnic backgrounds of the children in the program and the larger communities and societies in which they live
- Observes, screens and assess child development level and develops goals with teacher that relates to the child's individualization
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- High School diploma or GED
- 24 units Early Childhood Education/Child Development
- 6 months working in an Early Childhood setting
- Child Development principles and theories
- Excellent computer skills
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to clearly impart information to children in a manner that is understandable to them according to age and background
- Prompt, collaborative, team player, adaptable, communicator, organized consistent, and compassionate
- Associate of Arts in ECE/Child Development or related field.
- Assistant or Associate Teacher Child Development permit.
- 1 year of experience in Early Childhood setting
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.