Teacher Aide San Fernando Valley
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | San Fernando Valley, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
HEAD START/EARLY HEAD START PROGRAM
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (infant – 5 years old) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally Monday through Friday.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Teacher Aide is a critical member of the team and he/she will be housed at school sites on a daily basis, serving staff, children and volunteers and representing the company. Must ensure all health, safety, and nutrition guidelines are followed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides children with an environment that includes varied activities to help children develop socially, emotionally, intellectually and physically in a manner appropriate to their age and stage of development.
- Must provide excellent customer service, serving school customers in a professional, courteous and helpful manner.
- Prepare meals and replenish food items when needed during meal time.
- Communicates with central kitchen, Site Supervisor, and teaching teams on menu changes, allergies, and food counts to ensure accurate quantities and paperwork.
- Monitor food allergies and alerts kitchen and site staff of any concerns.
- Post monthly menus and change it when necessary
- Assist the classrooms and teachers with meal time
- Maintain sanitation and disinfection practices at all times when washing dishes, cleaning, and storing, and ensures that no cross contamination occurs.
- Must sanitize and restock kitchen and materials, do inventory and order supplies/food as applicable.
- Helps provide a physical environment consistent with state and local licensing requirements and the health and safety needs of the children.
- Assure site staff and parent volunteers follow CACFP rules and regulations, monitors allergies and informs site staff and kitchen of any concerns.
- Other duties as required
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Must Have a minimum of 12 units in Early Childhood Education or Child Development
- Training for food handler certification.
- Have general knowledge of current health and nutrition concepts.
- Microsoft operating system navigation, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, web-based applications
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to work effectively with a minimum amount of supervision
- Strong verbal communication, can set priorities, handle multiple tasks, problem solve, and demonstrate decision making skills.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Dependable, collaborative, punctual, positive mindset, flexible, and organized. Must take pride in maintain a clean and orderly environment.
- Associated Teacher Child Development Permit
- Food handler certificate
- Certifications in public health, Nutrition education, Food safety, or related field
- Work experience in Head Start/Early Head Start programs
- Promotes nutrition curriculum, activities and initiatives
- Bilingual English/Spanish or other language i.e. Armenian or Farsi.
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.