Summer Tutor Science (Upward Bound Dorsey)
Youth Services | South Los Angeles, CA | Part Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Volunteers of America Upward Bound is a federally funded TRIO program that provides educational assistance, academic advisement, tutoring, college & career planning, and educational & cultural field trips to low-income first generation high school students. Our Upward Bound Program operates a six week non-residential program in South Los Angeles, CA. For five weeks students engage in rigorous coursework through our partner institution, Los Angeles Trade Tech Community College, and the last week students participate in a college tour.
Pay Rate: $14.00 hourly
Under the general supervision of the Project Director and Educational Advisors, the specific duties and responsibilities of the Science Tutor shall include, but not limited to:
- Audit Science class and develop tutorial lessons based on class content.
- Provide academic assistance to assigned students, either in a group or individually.
- Establish liaison with the professor and work under the professor's direction to assist the students.
- Help students develop the study skills necessary for academic success by providing study skills, (i.e., time management, note-taking, test-taking) personal development workshops.
- Assist students in achieving a better understanding of specific subject material and in improving academic capabilities in designated areas.
- Develop and lead discussion sessions based on lecture content.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of student contacts and progress.
- Meet with Project Director and/or Project Advisor weekly to ascertain participant's progress and address any concerns.
- Provide advising and mentorship by facilitating team-building activities.
- Supervise participants during class, co-curricular activities, meals, field trips and travel to and from partner institution.
- Additional duties may be assigned
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.2 with knowledge in the following areas: Science- Preference for Environmental Science
- Must be a rising junior or senior currently enrolled in good academic standing, or graduate student
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment Monday-Friday for six weeks
- Highly experienced with tutoring, advising, or peer counseling
- Experience and ability to work with low-income, first generation high school students.
- Experience creating and leading workshops