Summer Instructor - Algebra 2AB - (Upward Bound Los Angeles)
Upward Bound - Talent Search - TRIO | Los Angeles, CA | Part Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
The Upward Bound identifies and assists individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds who have the potential to succeed in higher education. The program provides academic, career and financials advising to students; encourages them to graduate from high school and continue their post-secondary education. The program operates an academic and summer component. Provides after school enrichment program, college and career tours.
The position requires the instructor to teach Algebra 2AB for Upward Bound, Los Angeles students six weeks Summer Program. The class size will be fifteen high school students. The applicant must have a California Secondary Teaching Credential in high school level mathematics.
- Develop and teach course curriculum in accordance with California content standards
- Administer assessment tests to participants
- Maintain attendance recall, and assessment test results, and prepare weekly reports
- Bridge lecture presentations with hands on innovative activities via use of technology
Required Background and Skills:
- Current California Secondary Teaching credential
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Education preferred
- Two years teaching high school students
- Two years teaching disadvantaged students
- Use technology as a resource to keep students engaged
- Ability to develop and implement prescriptive remediation
- Plans to address students mathematical gaps in skills
Special Skills Required to Perform this Position:
- Administer mathematics diagnostic tests
- Utilize the internet and other websites to build familiarity of usage for students
Preferred Skills for this Position:
- Teaching experience with disadvantage students. Increase student’s interest in mathematics