Staff Accountant I (Accounting)
Corporate | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Serving those who serve others. The Accounting Department of VOALA is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to those who aid our communities’ most vulnerable. Administers finance operations and fiscal regulatory efforts for over 120 human services programs with over 2,000 employees.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Staff Accountant I is responsible for participating in the month end close, managing and analyzing the budgets of specified program funds. Ensures all transactions for assigned programs are recorded accurately, including all accounts payable and general ledger entries, making adjustment as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintaining accounting data for multiple programs (some with multiple grants) while managing varying grant requirements (data entry, file maintenance, etc.)
- Preparing journal entries, worksheets and financial reports using automated as well as hands-on accounting practices following GAAP
- Providing financial analyses and participating in budget preparation
- Assist with audits as required, preparing documents and reports
- Prepare monthly billing and grant drawdown
- Maintain accounting controls, as required by VOALA, grantor requirements and GAAP
- Assist with preparation of reports to Funders
- Other duties as assigned by Director of Strategic Finance
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelor’s Degree or an Associate’s Degree, with 2 additional years of relevant professional experience
- Minimum of 3 years of accounting experience (If the candidate has an Associate’s Degree, 5 years of accounting experience is required)
- Excellent grasp of accounting principles
- Microsoft Excel and Word
- Accounting software
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to examine and verify financial documents and reports
- Strong written and verbal communication, set priorities, handle multiple tasks, problem solving, decision making, interpret data, detail oriented, accurate, analytical, and organized
- Proficient in understanding and communication of the spoken and written English language
- Ability to meet established deadlines
- Dependable, collaborative, have regular/dependable attendance, be prompt, positive mindset, flexible, and organized
- Degree in Accounting or Business
- Federal grant reporting and fund accounting
- Audit background is a plus
- Non-Profit experience
- Great Plain – SAP
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.