Site Supervisor Head Start East Los Angeles
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | East Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (infant 2 – 5) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally Monday through Friday.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Site Supervisor supervises teaching staff at a designated site and ensures activities are designed to promote the children’s social, emotional, physical, and intellectual growth. This position oversees planning individual and group activities to stimulate learning according to the ages of the children.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Site Supervisor performs the following:
- Promotes an atmosphere that actively embraces diversity; addresses any form of prejudice and promotes understanding of all cultures
- Provides social and emotional climate that supports and builds teamwork and group pride; works constructively through any site conflicts
- Provides supervision to teaching staff; reviews teacher paperwork and submits timely reports as required
- Ensures implemented curriculum plan meets needs of all children, families and staff
- Observes, screens and assesses each child's developmental level and develops goals that relate to the child's individual development
- Ensures implementation of the program curriculum for children enrolled in morning and afternoon classes (double session); instructs minimum of one (1) class per day and more, if needed
- Administers plans individual and group activities to stimulate learning as well as supports and enhances the role of parents as prime educators of their children
- Works cooperatively with all staff to provide information and resources to enrolled families
- Integrates various Early Head Start services into learning such as parent involvement, social services, nutrition, health and mental health services
- Provides a physical environment consistent with state and local licensing requirements as well as the health and safety of the children
- Other tasks as may be required to meet the program goals, and goals of program participants
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Valid California driver's license and access to automobile with adequate insurance (or have easy access to other means of reliable transportation) to make home visits and travel to other school sites
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Child Development or related field
- Transcripts required to prove a minimum of 24 semester units in Early Childhood Education and/or Child Development:
- 16 semester units in General Education
- 3 semester units in Administration
- 2 semester units in Adult Supervision
- Valid Child Development Site Supervisor permit
- Minimum of 2 years of teaching experience
- Minimum of 1 year of supervisory experience
- Child development principles and theories
- Excellent computer skills including working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to clearly impart information to children in a manner that is understandable to them according to age and background
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to work well as a team member
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards
- Prompt, collaborative/team player, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, and compassionate
- Bilingual English and Spanish (written and verbal)
- Preferred 3 years of teaching experience
- Preferred 2 years of supervisory experience
- Knowledge of Head Start performance standards
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.