School Age Teacher Assistant PT North Hollywood (Afternoon)
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | North Hollywood, CA | Part Time | From $17.17 to $18.08 per hour
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
GENERAL CHILD CARE
Through our General Child Care programs, we work with children (2yrs-10yrs) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Children also receive a broad array of health services including screenings and referrals, maintenance of immunization schedules, nutrition assessments and follow-ups, mental health assessments as part of an initial screenings, and determination if any mental or physical delays are present.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The General Child Care Teacher Assistant helps teachers in providing children with an environment that includes varied activities to help children develop socially, emotionally, intellectually and physically in a manner appropriate to their age and stage of development, with the overall goal being to achieve social competence for the child.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Helps the teachers implement the program curriculum for children enrolled in morning and afternoon classes. Plan individual and group activities to stimulate learning and promote parent involvement in the child’s learning process. Works cooperatively with co-teacher. Works with cooperative to provide information and resources to enrolled families;
- Helps the teachers to provide children with an environment that includes varied activities to help children develop socially, emotionally, intellectually and physical in manner appropriate to their age and stage of development, with the overall goal being to achieve social competence for the child;
- Helps the teachers to conducts daily classroom planning, maintains children’s records in conjunction with the co-teacher and submits accurate monthly paperwork in timely basis;
- Help teaching staff conduct daily observations and collect anecdotal observations to be used for DRDP assessments;
- Help teaching staff create a classroom environment following the guidelines of the ITERS, ECERS and SACCERS;
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Proof at time of hire a Tuberculosis (TB) clearance and Health screening within 6 month prior to hire date. Annual influenza vaccination (between Aug1-Dec 1) Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization, Health screening at the time of employment.
Requires ability to interact with children in a busy environment including but not limited to:
Able to lift up to 50 lbs
Frequently kneel and squat
- Ability to move quickly
- Must have access to an automobile with adequate insurance coverage and a valid California driver’s license, or means to other accessible transportation.
12 ECE/CD units
High School Diploma or equivalent
- Experience working with children either in the home or in an educational program
- Child Development principles and theories.
- Proficient Microsoft Office Suite: Outlook, MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel. Familiarity with Database and reporting – Learning Genie
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Possess the ability to compare, copy, compute and compile data.
- Able to clearly impart information to children in a manner that is understandable to them, according to their age and background.
- Possess manual dexterity and the ability to use school/office equipment and educational materials.
- Possess knowledge of computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Dependable, collaborative, have regular/dependable attendance, be prompt, positive mindset, flexible, organized
- AA Degree on Child Development or related field
- Child Development permit
- Creative curriculum. Licensing regulations.
- Bilingual English and Spanish(written and verbal)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.