Registered Nurse (Pathways To Home)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Under the direct supervision of the Program Director, the RN provides professional standard nursing services for residential Emergency Shelter program. As a patient advocate, the RN will also provide physical, medication support, along with interfacing with community stakeholder and medical providers that interact with milieu.
- Provides nursing services including: monitoring of medications, monitoring vitals, direct communication with medical providers on-site for referrals to other provides and community health resources, health instruction to patients, and instruction and in-servicing to counseling line staff including training on medication dispensing.
- Documents patient’s current medication list, including name(s) of medication, dosages, frequency, duration and start date.
- Accountable for own errors in the monitoring of medications and treatments, and will be subject to established disciplinary measures in this regard.
- Attends treatment and staff meetings and participates in quality improvement projects
- Other task as assigned.
- Current, valid California Registered Nurse
- Valid Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Excellent communication skills at level necessary for taking patients’ medical histories, understanding provider and supervisor instructions, and for accurately documenting patients’ medical information
- Ability to effectively communicate with patient population and staff will demonstrating a high degree of diplomacy and tact, Intermediate to advanced computing and phone skills
- Working knowledge of “Universal Precautions” demonstrated professionalism at all times
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in a high-stress and fast moving environment
- Possess a thorough understanding of the importance of confidentiality and non-disclosure according to the general standards set forth by HIPAA
- Culturally sensitive and demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with mental health, substance use disorder, veterans, and transitional aged youth (TAY) populations.
- Experience working with the homeless population
- Ability to develop relations with adult clients
- Demonstration of emotional maturity and stability
- Knowledge of the agency’s target population and evidence- based treatment services
- Ability to administer tuberculosis (TB) skin test by reading and providing results