Registered Nurse, Part-Time (Veteran Recuperative)
Adult Services | Greater Los Angeles Area, CA | Part Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the Registered Nurse (RN) provides professional nursing services for this residential Recuperative program for Veterans. As a patient advocate, the RN will also provide limited physical examinations, medication support, and work with the primary healthcare providers for the clients.
*******Part-Time (25 Hours/Week)**********
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides nursing services including: monitoring of medications, monitoring vitals, direct communication with medical providers on-site for referrals to other provides and community health resources, health instruction to patients, and instruction and in-servicing to counseling line staff including monitoring of self-administration of prescribed medication.
- Designs and provides a comprehensive health services plan for each client that includes a broad range of medical services including assisting clients and disabled veterans with physical and emotional needs, and referral to appropriate service providers
- Documents patient's current medication list, including: name of prescriber, names of medication, dosages, frequency, duration and start date
- Participates in weekly case review with Program Staff to ensure best quality care for clients, and continuous improvement of services.
- Acts as liaison between Program Staff and Medical Providers, in order to coordinate best care of clients
- Maintain electronic health records and hard copy documentation of all services provided
- Other Tasks that may be required by the Program Manager
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- This is a Part-Time position
- Current and valid California license Registered Nurse
- Valid Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification
- Minimum of 2 years of work experience as a Registered Nurse
- Possess a thorough understanding of the importance of confidentiality and non-disclosure according to the general standards set forth by HIPAA
- Microsoft operating system navigation: Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Familiar with Electronic Health Records
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards
- Ability to administer tuberculosis (TB) skin test and providing results
- Excellent communication skills at level necessary for taking patients' medical histories, understanding provider and supervisor instructions, and for accurately documenting patients' medical information
- Ability to effectively communicate with patient population and staff will demonstrating a high degree of diplomacy and tact
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing, Nurse Science, or Public Health Administration (or closely related field)
- Experience with Veteran population
- Culturally sensitive and demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with mental health, substance use disorder, and veterans
- Experience working with the homeless population
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.