Registered Nurse Homeless Services AS NEEDED
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Part Time and Temporary
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
THIS IS AN AS NEEDED/ON CALL POSITION
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the Registered Nurse (RN) provides professional nursing services for the program. Acting both as a medical liaison and as a patient advocate, the RN will design a health services plan and work with the primary healthcare providers for the clients.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides nursing services including: direct communication with medical providers, referrals to other provides and community health resources, general health instruction to clients, and instruction and in-servicing to counseling line staff including instruction on monitoring of self-administration of prescribed medication.
- Designs and provides a comprehensive health services plan for each client that includes a broad range of medical services including assisting clients with physical and emotional needs, and referral to appropriate service providers
- Documents patient's current medication list, including: name of prescriber, names of medication, dosages, frequency, duration and start date
- Participates in weekly case review with Program Staff to ensure best quality care for clients, and continuous improvement of services.
- Acts as liaison between Program Staff and Medical Providers, in order to coordinate best care of clients
- Maintain electronic health records and hard copy documentation of all services provided
- Other Tasks that may be required by the Program Manager
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Valid California driver’s license, acceptable proof of automobile insurance, and/or reliable mode of transportation
- Current and valid California Registered Nurse License
- CPR certification
- Two years of work experience as an RN
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Work, Excel, Power Point)
- Familiar working with Electronic Health Record
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Ability to administer tuberculosis (TB) skin test and providing results
- Ability to effectively communicate with patient population and staff will demonstrating a high degree of diplomacy and tact
- Excellent communication skills for taking patients' medical histories, understanding provider and supervisor instructions
- Ability to accurately document patients' medical information
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing, Public Health Administration (or related field)
- Experience working with homeless population
- Culturally sensitive and demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with mental health, substance use disorder
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.