Property Manager Assistant (Ballington Plaza)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Ballington Plaza is a low-income housing development that provides an oasis in an otherwise difficult part of town - Skid Row. This secure, guarded apartment complex is home to hundreds of veterans and other formerly homeless residents.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Reporting to the Community Property Manager, the Assistant Property Manager must, first and foremost, be sensitive to the needs and particular lifestyle challenges of the Ballington Plaza community and be able to communicate effectively with people from all walks of life. This position requires the ability to work flexible hours.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinating apartment turnover and assuring apartments are returned to rent-ready condition, assist Community Property Manager prepare eviction proceedings
- Overseeing work performed by maintenance staff;
- Coordinating the completion of work orders based on resident requests for maintenance
- Maintaining work records including organization of work orders
- Overseeing security staff;
- Maintaining documentation and incident reports
- Able to resolve unexpected problems as they arise
- Working with the Property Manager to follow-up on complaints and reported incidents
- As directed, investigate and document all complaints and reported incidents
- Other duties as required and is subject to change at any time
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in property management with supervisory experience guiding and overseeing staff
- Knowledgeable of Section 8 procedures, requirements of funding sources
- Basic Microsoft operating system navigation: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Internet applications
- Working knowledge of YARDI software
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally
- Strong conflict resolution skills
- Able to resolve unexpected situations
- Client- focused, Prompt, collaborative/team player, regular attendance, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, compassionate, and conflict resolution
- Associates Degree Property Management or related discipline
- Experience with Housing Authority procedures and documentation a plus
- Current California driver's license and clean driving record
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.