Program Integrity Specialist Housing
Corporate | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Program Integrity Specialist (Housing) will perform internal audits to verify rental assistance provided by VOALA Housing and other Programs. Validates the locations and existence of supported housing, and assists in maintaining good relations with participating landlords. Creates an audit strategy matching rental assistance provided with verified rental properties. Create effective systems for continuous improvement throughout all VOALA Housing practices, recommend and implement internal controls and best financial practices.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Internal Audit Duties:
- Compile and validate rental assistance provided by VOALA, matching client, landlord, and rental location.
- Gather Rental payment data from Accounting and Accounts Payable
- Gather Landlord lists from Housing programs
- Ensure adherence to proper accountability processes
- Visit locations to validate supported housing, as required
- Work with Senior Leaders to implement best financial practices at Housing Programs
Coordination with Housing Programs:
- Gathers from the program the housing database linking tenants to apartments
- Communicates with landlords to ensure fair rental rates and maintain good relations
- As required meet with landlords to ensure fair value delivered
- Research and recommend new housing inventory
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business or Finance
- An equivalent combination of related education and experience (4 years)
- Property Management and Real Estate license with Associate’s degree in Accounting, Business or Finance or related area. Directly related experience in lieu of Associate’s degree is allowed
- 1 years’ experience in accounting and/or financial audit or related area is required.
- Industry knowledge of general accounting and fiscal reporting
- Internal Audit Principals
- Strong data analysis for quantitative and qualitative research.
- Expert Ability to use Microsoft, Excel, PowerPoint, Online data collection tools and modeling.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Ability to work well with program managers when challenging their program performance
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Auditor Interview skill
- Analytical Skill
- Communication skill
- Negotiation skill
- Documentation skill
- Ability to answer to multiple people giving assignment
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Ability to promote and maintain collaborative work relationships with various program and corporate staff members
- 2 years’ accounting experience
- Financial audit experience
- Non-Profit accounting/audit experience
- Real Estate Background
- Familiar with CARF standards
- Non-profit funding and accounting
- California Rental regulations
- Familiar with Great Plains accounting software
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.