Program Assistant/Parent Involvement - HS (North Hollywood)
Children's Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (ages 2 – 5) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond.
The Program Assistant will provide support to Family Service Specialist (FSS) in designated program areas, such as Mental Health, Disabilities, Nutrition, Parent Involvement, or Social Services. Assistance will be provided in planning, intra-agency procedure formulation, and coordination; recruitment of children, personnel supervision, staff development and evaluation; interagency liaison, mobilization of community resources; client advocacy; reports and referrals.
The Program Assistant will:
- Work in conjunction with the Coordinator and FSS to ensure site enrollment of eligible children, including 10% with disabilities; and actively assist in the re-involvement process.
- Accurately prepare and submit required reports and administrative forms in a timely manner.
- Assist with record keeping of files and monitor family files. Must use a computerized data system to input, retrieve and update required data.
- Work with family advocates to ensure proper case management and follow-up with families who have children with disabilities. Establish formal and effective lines of communication between staff in order to facilitate coordination and efficient flow of communication.
- Assists staff in providing and/or referring to appropriate counseling services families with problems of an emergent or crisis nature.
- Assists in promoting parent advocacy and in planning and implementation of parent involvement activities and training.
- Participate in meetings relevant to area assigned to such as but not limited to IEP’s, Family Advocate meetings, Community meetings, Site Supervisor meetings and Center Committee meetings.
- Other job related duties as assigned.
- Associates of Art degree in Social Services, Health or related field or, two (2) years of relevant experience in social work, case management in health, disabilities, mental health o parent involvement aide in HS/EHS may be substituted for each year required of college education.
- Must have excellent computer skills including strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment with minimal supervision and work well as a team member.
- Must be able to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Must have valid California driver’s license and access to dependable automobile with adequate insurance in order to make home visits and/or to travel to different school and office sites.
- Fingerprint clearance required prior to employment.
- Proof at the time of hire
- TB clearance within 6 months prior
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization
- Health screening at the time of employment
- Requires ability to interact with children in a busy environment including, but not limited to:
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Frequently kneel and squat
- Ability to move quickly
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and oral) desirable
- First aid and CPR certification desirable