Program Assistant - Nutrition(San Fernando/Santa Clarita Valley)
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | San Fernando Valley, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (ages 2 – 5) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally Monday through Friday, 7:45 am to 4:15 pm (10-1/2 months per year).
The Program Assistant will provide support to Family Service Specialist (FSS) in designated program areas, such as Mental Health, Nutrition, Parent Involvement, or Social Services. Assistance will be provided in planning, intra-agency procedure formulation, and coordination; recruitment of children, personnel supervision, staff development and evaluation; inter-agency liaison, mobilization of community resources; client advocacy; reports and referrals.
Types letters, forms, records and reports which require the use of some independent judgment; checks and reviews data for completion and conformance with established regulations and procedures; compiles information and prepares for records and reports; prepares requisitions for office/education supplies; compile data used for statistical reports.
- Work with FSS to establish and maintain outreach and recruitment to ensure site enrollment of eligible children, including 10% with disabilities; and actively assist in the re-involvement process.
- Assist with coordination of Policy Council Meetings and Center Committee Meetings.
- Accurately prepare and submit required reports and administrative forms in a timely manner.
- Assist with record keeping of files and monitor family files.
- Assist in promoting parent advocacy.
- Assist in parent involvement activities and trainings.
- Work with family advocates to ensure proper case management and follow-up with families who have children with disabilities. Establish formal and effective lines of communication between staff in order to facilitate coordination and efficient flow of communication.
- Assists staff in providing and/or referring to appropriate counseling services families with problems of an emergent or crisis nature.
- Coordinates social service area activities with other area specialists such as Child Development Supervisors, Nurses, Mental Health Consultants, Teachers and Parent Involvement Coordinator/Family Service Specialist.
- Serves as the delegate agency’s liaison establishes and maintains formal communication with public and private social service agencies.
- Assist in planning parent and program activities.
- Work as a team to establish and maintain direct communication channels among the family, program staff, FSS’s, administrative staff and community members;
- Must use a computerized data system to input, retrieve and update required data;
- Participate in meetings relevant to area assigned to such as but not limited to IEP’s, Family Advocate meetings, Community meetings, Site Supervisor meetings and Center Committee meetings.
- Other job related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or Associate of Arts degree (preferred) in Social Services, Health or related field or two (2) years of relevant experience may be substituted for each year required of college education.
- Relevant experience may be in social work, case management in health, disabilities, mental health or parent involvement aide in an Early Head Start/Head Start program.
- Proof at the time of hire
- TB clearance within 6 months prior
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization
- Health screening at the time of employment
- Requires ability to interact with children in a busy environment including, but not limited to:
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Frequently kneel and squat
- Ability to move quickly
Additional Requirements Preferred:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal) desirable.
- Must have excellent computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.