Program Assistant Health Head Start South Los Angeles
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | South Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (infant – 5) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally Monday through Friday.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Program Assistant Health provides administrative support for implementation of a health services programs for families and children. This position provides collaborative planning in conjunction with other support groups and agencies in meeting needs of families.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
With guidance and technical support from the Family Service Specialist, the Program Assistant – Health will:
- Participate in health education for parents; acquaint parents with the purpose and need for complete physical and dental exams for their children
- Obtain medical, dental and developmental histories for each child; obtain parental consent forms as needed
- Assist in health screening and medical/dental exams
- Makes home visits to advise families in health matters
- May provide families with emergency assistance and/or crisis intervention
- Assist in preparation and update of the health service plan
- Assist in first aid and CPR training for staff
- Other duties as required
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Valid California driver’s license and access to dependable automobile with adequate insurance in order to make home visits and/or to travel to different school and office sites
- Proof at the time of hire
- TB clearance within 6 months prior
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization
- Health screening at the time of employment
- Requires ability to interact with children in a busy environment including, but not limited to:
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently kneel and squat
- Ability to move quickly
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program
- Minimum of 6 months of experience as a medical assistant
- Excellent computer skills including strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to effectively communicate orally and in writing in English
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards
- Prompt, collaborative/team player, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, and compassionate
- 1 year of experience as a medical assistant
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal)
- First aid and CPR certification
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.