Program Assistant - Disabilities (East Los Angeles)
Children's Services | East Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (ages 2 – 5) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally Monday through Friday, 7:45 am to 4:15 pm.
The Area Assistant will provide support to Family Service Specialist (FSS) in designated program area of Disabilities. Assistance will be provided in planning, intra-agency procedure formulation, and coordination; recruitment of children, personnel supervision, staff development and evaluation; interagency liaison, mobilization of community resources; client advocacy; reports and referrals.
Types letters, forms, records and reports which require the use of some independent judgment; checks and reviews data for completion and conformance with established regulations and procedures; compiles information and prepares for records and reports; prepares requisitions for office/education supplies; compile data used for statistical reports
The Area Assistant will:
- Work with FSS to establish and maintain outreach and recruitment to ensure site enrollment of eligible children, including 10% with disabilities; and actively assist in the re-involvement process
- Work with family advocates to ensure proper case management and follow-up with families who have children with disabilities
- Establish formal and effective lines of communication between staff in order to facilitate coordination and efficient flow of communication
- Assists staff in providing and/or referring to appropriate counseling services families with problems of an emergent or crisis nature
- Coordinates social service area activities with other area specialists such as Child Development Supervisors, Nurses, Mental Health Consultants, Teachers and Parent Involvement Coordinator/Family Service Specialist
- Assist in planning parent and program activities
- Other job related duties as assigned
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATION & EXPERIENCE: High school diploma and Associate of Arts degree in Social Services, Health or related field or two (2) years of relevant experience may be substituted for each year required of college education. Relevant experience may be in social work, case management in health, disabilities, mental health or parent involvement aide in an Early Head Start/Head Start program.
- Must have physical examination at the time of employment
- Proof at the time of hire
- TB clearance within 6 months prior
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization
- Must be physically able to lift up to 50 lbs, to move quickly and to perform duties requiring squatting and kneeling in order to interact with children in a very busy environment
- Experience working in social work, case management, or as a health or parent involvement aid in a related program a plus
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and oral)
- Must also be computer literate
- Must have good organizational skills. First aid and CPR certification desirable
- Must have valid California driver’s license and access to dependable automobile with adequate insurance in order to make home visits and/or to travel to different school and office sites
- Fingerprint clearance required prior to employment
VOALA is an Equal Opportunity Employer