Program Assistant Disabilities
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | South Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
HEAD START/EARLY HEAD START PROGRAM
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (infant – 5 years old) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally Monday through Friday.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Assist the Disabilities Coordinator in planning, facilitating and coordinating services to children with disabilities. In addition to providing clerical support to the Disabilities Area. This is to be done in accordance within the prescribed framework, funding parameters, philosophy, policies and procedures of VOALA Head Start/Early Head Start.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To assist establish and maintain outreach and recruitment to ensure site enrollment of eligible children, including 10% with disabilities; and actively assist in the re-involvement process.
- Inform and discuss referral process timelines, Parent’s Guide to Special Education, and Transition information to provide formal and effective lines of communication between staff in order to facilitate coordination and efficient flow of communication with all referrals with in the Disability and LEA’s services.
- Track and monitor all administration of developmental screenings for all Early Head Start/Head Start children. Verify and reviewing files in a monthly, quarterly and yearly. Review disability reports, identify program strengths and needs for improvement of services, and collaborate with site staff in conducting proper follow-up documentation
- Monitor and Verify Related Services by school districts’ service providers is done as scheduled to ensure that children with disabilities are served in a general education environment.
- Other duties as required and is subject to change at any time
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- High School Diploma/ GED Equivalent
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in social work, case management in health, disabilities, mental health or parent involvement. (Associate of Arts degree in Social Services or related field can be used in place of the 2 years of experience)
- Accurate data management, documentation and record-keeping skills.
- Knowledge of Early Head Start/Head Start program
- Excellent computer skills including strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience with using a database program such as Child Plus
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Valid California Driver’s License
- Flexible schedule (may include some evening or weekend hours.)
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Strong customer service focus
- Ability to work with culturally diverse population
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with and without reasonable accommodation including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards
- Prompt, collaborative/team player, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, and compassionate.
- Demonstrates excellent organizational skill and attention to detail.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.